Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Liver cake recipe

As much as I'm not keen on the smell and idea of it, Marco did very much go for a couple of pieces we were once given, so I thought this might help immensely with training.

Does anyone have any proven (and preferably simple) recipes for it which they could share?

Thanks,
David
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't follow strict recipes when baking for the dogs, just chuck together proportions of flour, egg, oil, etc.
I would say, for a 1 dog portion,

Pre-heat oven to 180 celcius

1 egg
Tablespoon of olive oil or salmon oil
Tablespoon or two of blended liver
Slowly add enough flour to form either a thick batter or a dough

Spread the batter into a baking dish (line with greaseproof paper to make removable easier, or use a silicon cake mould/loaf tray), or roll out the dough and score into squares/cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
Batter probably needs about 20-25 mins or so, biscuits 15-25 depending how dry/crunchy you want them (the less moisture, the longer they tend to last outside of the freezer). Turn out the cake and chop into small pieces, keep in the fridge or a cool dry place. Freeze excess - I make big batches of dough and freeze the dough so I can bake fresh biscuits without so much faffing around next time.

If you're not keen on the smell you could subsitute liver for something else. Fish works well for mine, I use the Fish4Dogs salmon mousse to make fish biscuits/cakes.

Another option is to ditch the flour and use oats instead to make a liver flapjack. Adding some homemade stock (simmer a bone in some water for 5-10 mins) can help make nice moist flapjack - dogs seem to go mad for the salmon & chicken stock flapjack I make, I have dogs mugging me in the hope to get some
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I`ve killed two blenders with blending liver so now I simply brown the liver then put it in a slow oven till leather-hard and cut into pieces.
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-11-2011, 11:28 AM
That's great, thanks for sharing that, I'll give it a go. In the meantime I picked up a couple of pieces of liver from the butchers while I was in there anyway; Just cooked them in the oven for about 10 minutes though. Will see how they go.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ve killed two blenders with blending liver so now I simply brown the liver then put it in a slow oven till leather-hard and cut into pieces.
Thanks for that tip!
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2011, 01:37 PM
8ozs Liver
4ozs S/R Flour
2 Eggs
2 Cloves Garlic/ or 2 tsps garlic puree.

Put all the ingredients into a blender until the mixture is smooth, pink and runny [not too rigid a requirement if you prefer to make it a bit chunky' Pour into greased swiss roll type baking tin and place in the oven [Gas Mark 4] for around 30-40 minutes.
Leave to cool and cut into bite size pieces.
It can be frozen into individual bags.

i tend to use chicken liver and have microwaved instead of convential oven cooking.

p.s. better to make on a dry warm day when you can have the windows open to let smell out
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The trick to not kill your blender is to cube the liver so the "skin" of it doesn't get stuck around the blades
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I'll definitely be trying these!

Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
In the meantime I picked up a couple of pieces of liver from the butchers while I was in there anyway; Just cooked them in the oven for about 10 minutes though. Will see how they go.
He would've jumped over backwards if he knew how, the plain cooked ox-liver had a very good training affect.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:35 PM
1lb of liver
1 egg
1 clove if garlic
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
I small grated carrot
Add flour/water to consistency.

Bake on Gas Mark 4 for 30 mins. You can substitute the liver for tinned dog food or tinned fish.

I also make fish cakes.
1 tin of fish
1 egg
Instant porridge oats
Mix, flattern into a patty and microwave for a few mins. Cool on a rack to stop it going soggy and chop into squares.
tipsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
great recipes, I will def be trying these out Thanks
Ladygarden1
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks, I'm gonna be cooking up a stinky storm!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >