Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Help! - Limpy leg

Zeke, our male, 5ish yr old Akita has a limpy front right leg, it could even be his shoulder. (I feel guilty because he must have hurt it last week whilst we were on holiday up in Scotland.) He doesn't want to walk far, isn't eating as much and just looks a bit down, occasionally crying (he IS a right wimpy lad bless him).

He's already on Glucosamine for his joints daily, just because of his age/size and breed.

This limp re-occurs, then goes away, but always coming back, I'd say well over 5 times now in 3 years.

The vet does the same thing everytime - prescribes pain killers and anti-inflammatories, which makes it go away, temporarily.

I'm going to take him tomorrow, but do you think it's about time I asked for him to be X rayed?

Can you usually get them X rayed there and then at the vets? It's only a small village practise?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi Akitagirl, even though your Vet practice is small they are bound to have x ray facilities, but whether it could be done on the spot is another matter as your boy would probably have to be sedated in order to keep him still enough. If you know your vet well, (and who amongst us doesn't!) then he/she may let you stay during the procedure, but very often they like to have the dog in for a few hours purely in order to fit the x ray in between other things. Certainly if it was my dog I would think that it was time to see what was going on in there........good luck
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Goodluck hope it is nothing xxxx Healing vibes xxxx
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Hope he is feeling better soon. Have you thought about asking to be referred to a chiro or anything?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Zeke, our male, 5ish yr old Akita has a limpy front right leg, it could even be his shoulder. He doesn't want to walk far, isn't eating as much and just looks a bit down, occasionally crying (he IS a right wimpy lad bless him).
Our Bara has the same limp. With her it's always after our daily walk, she comes back and will not lie on the blanket we've prepared for her, she insists on lying on some wet grass or bare earth (Probably because it's cooler)

About an hour or so after we get back we fed her and when she gets up it's very obvious that she's limping, yet on the walk she's OK.

I'll be interested to know what an X-ray shows for poor Zeke.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

I am now swifly with a NEW vet practise My vet, well receptionist, was quite rude when I enquired re: putting him under, (he's getting on now and this makes me cry). I sort of said I would prefer him to be sedated rather than out under a general if at all possible...she said that wasn't my choice, she wasn't very helpful, cold and fully booked all week anyway

There's a new practise just down the road so I thought I'd try them, the lady on reception was so helpful, she explained fully why they may need to be put under, due to the twisting or being laid flat on their back etc..she knew the breed and explained the possible problems (wow!) she said we can stay the entire time there and bring our other dog if it's a problem leaving her at home on her own on the day. We had a good 15 minute chat and he's booked in for later in the week.

xx
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Sounds like the new practice will be much better for you. Hope it all goes well...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks WarFlyball

Also I didn't reply to your earlier post..
Originally Posted by WarFlyball View Post
Hope he is feeling better soon. Have you thought about asking to be referred to a chiro or anything?
I hadn't even thought about that. Thanks, I guess we'l see what the xray throws back then this may be our next port of call
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:26 PM
The new practice sounds to be a much kinder and more sympathetic one. Good luck
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
just a thought....

sometimes when I'm very tired and go to sleep, I wake up with "pins and needles" in my arms and/or legs.... if I then have to use that limb quickly I'm guaranteed that I'll sprain something slightly (I'm "only" 40 as Bitkin reminded me ).. after a few hours the pain goes away and I'm fine but I have been limping for a while.... it doesn't happen often, maybe 5 times in the past 3 years...is it possible that this can also happen to dogs?

as I said.... just a thought

ps... i too would take Tess to the vet if it persisted, and I would be very worried while she was limping.... but sometimes there are simple answers if the vet can see nothing strange....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >