Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brodysmom
New Member!
Male 

21-04-2016, 11:40 PM

Open To Ideas

I picked up my 12 week old Shih-tzu, Brody, from the breeder on April 9th. She had the pups on TLC, an excellent food made in Canada. I ordered the same food for Brody only to discover that he started scratching his ears and chewing on his paws after a couple of days. I can return the food as they deliver to your door and will take back the food within 60 days. I ordered 4StrongPaws, again a highly recommended Canadian food but without grain. I've had him on this food, adding a bit gradually, and now have him changed over and I'd like to confirm what I've heard, and that's that it can take roughly three weeks for the changeover to a new diet to take effect. TLC had three protein sources and 4StrongPaws has one. I realize it could be the protein but I'm hoping the change will make a difference. His ears are pink and healthy looking but usually in the morning he'll start rolling on his back in his crate like he's trying to scratch his whole body. There are no lesions, no red spots, yet once or twice a day he's taken to rubbing himself like it's his job. I'm guessing it might be a food allergy but I'm open to ideas.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	4957  
banksy217
New Member!
Male 

22-04-2016, 11:53 AM
As long as there's no redness and no lesions from his scratching, then it should be okay. You said it's just in the morning he scratches? Is that the time that he eats? A lot of dogs tend to have skin problems when they eat grain/gluten so it's good that you changed it to a grain free diet. If he continues to itch within the week you may want to get a second opinion from the vet.