Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2008, 07:39 PM

Milk for pups

My pup (14 weeks) has goats' milk in the evening. I would be happy to drop this, but she loves it!

I know that dogs do not have the enzymes necessary to digest cows' milk - does this also apply to goats' milk?

If so, when should she stop having this?

Thanks for your help!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't think puppies need any milk once they are weened, as long as they are on a good quality diet.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 10:08 PM
hiya same as above really, is there any reason for you to want to give milk to the pup? if not water is fine & there is no need for it!

you can buy puppy milk but there is really no need x
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm looking from this from a different angle, the pups I keep love weetabix and I use lambs milks substitute as its a lot cheaper that goats milk although its a powder and a pain
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I'm looking from this from a different angle, the pups I keep love weetabix and I use lambs milks substitute as its a lot cheaper that goats milk although its a powder and a pain
Exactly, Morganstar. It is a comfort as opposed to nutritional addition to her diet. After all, she is still very much a baby. If it helps her settle as part of a night time routine, I can't argue with it.

I just need advice on the enzyme part in relation to goats rather than cows milk.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I don't think puppies need any milk once they are weened, as long as they are on a good quality diet.
I tend to agree with this. I wouldn't give a pup any type of milk once it's weened on to solid foods. At 14 weeks she should already be eating a solid diet anyway and not need any milk. Personally, I would start weening her off the milk now, but that's just what I would do. Why don't you speak to your vet and see what they say?

I got a couple of free cartons of Top Milk (for dogs) last year. I think it's goats milk though I can't remember. I didn't particularly want to give my two it, espcially Molly. Though they do get a small cone once or twice a year, probably not a good idea with regards to the cows milk.

I asked the vet about Top Milk and he said that both dogs are very healthy and have a good diet. They don't need the milk and I was advised not to give them it. He also said that it's a waste of money and that only really young pups who are not yet on solid food need milk such a goats milk.

I have heard that adding a little bit of goats milk in with dry food can help fussy eaters, but I would imagine it should only be used for a while and not long term. Personally, I wouldn't do this, I'd just add warm water and let them take it or leave it! Unless, of course, the dogs are malnourished, ill etc.

Hope this helps.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Just out of interest, Jacquie, till what age to they get the lambs milk?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Until there about 2 and my whelping bitches get it about 3 weeks before there due.
Welshies are such fussy eaters if they eat weetabix I leave them on it till they body up, I know nutritainally its of no advantage but mine wont eat them with any thing but milk
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks, Jacquie, I just wondered!

I can see why you have a different viewpoint regarding this subject, from a breeders point of view.

Personally, though, I would rather not start giving mine goats milk and the likes regularly when there is no need to as they already have a good diet and are healthy. I'd be concerned about the milk having an effect on my Wesite because, as you'll know, they are prone to skin irritations.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I tend to agree with this. I wouldn't give a pup any type of milk once it's weened on to solid foods. At 14 weeks she should already be eating a solid diet anyway and not need any milk.

Hope this helps.
Thanks - it does help. She will be stopping it as soon as this carton is finished!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >