Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Just seen this on TV and am so angry!

I've just heard about the couple who had hundreds of animals in their house, all exotic species.

The RSPCA said they weren't breeding them, but hoarding them. When the RSPCA entered, it stank, it was thought that the house was empty of people at first as there was months worth of droppings all over but no, the owner had left that morning or work

There were dead animals in cages but the real shock was when they entered the garage, there were all sorts of species, and the fridge was crammed with dead bodies, it was pure neglect, they hadn't directly killed them by beating them, just neglected them.

Now for the most disgusting part:
After removing all the animals (I didn't catch how many altogether) they counted up 84 dead animals (including birds and reptiles, pole cats etc) and the couple got 35 days in jail 35 days! for 84 deaths. Oh, and a life time ban on keeping animals, which I'm sure the couple will pay attention to
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Thats way things are never going to change in this country the law is just so bl**dy lame.
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Amie
Thats way things are never going to change in this country the law is just so bl**dy lame.

How true we need to be more like america with animal laws, with much tougher sentences, it really is unbelievable.
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2006, 10:13 PM
This is what I don't understand about hoarders. They seem to believe they are doing the right thing by hoarding animals but don't seem to realise what is going on around them. To me they seem to be halfway in and out of deliberate abuse because having seen and read about people who hoard, they genuinely feel that they are doing something for the animals/reptiles/birds. I am certainly not condoning it all, no way but just wondered if anyone else had noticed that people who hoard can't seem to see what they are doing is wrong and continue to take animals into their home and garden despite the illness, injury or death going on around them, it doesn't seem to register and they think they are helping.

So sad for the lives of animals etc involved.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Shanik
This is what I don't understand about hoarders. They seem to believe they are doing the right thing by hoarding animals but don't seem to realise what is going on around them. To me they seem to be halfway in and out of deliberate abuse because having seen and read about people who hoard, they genuinely feel that they are doing something for the animals/reptiles/birds. I am certainly not condoning it all, no way but just wondered if anyone else had noticed that people who hoard can't seem to see what they are doing is wrong and continue to take animals into their home and garden despite the illness, injury or death going on around them, it doesn't seem to register and they think they are helping.

I know what you mean - they seemed so distraught when they went to court, it's like they just couldn't understand how others could find something wrong with what they were doing.

In my opinion it points in the direction of a neurologic problem and should be addressed far more seriously, whilst the animals should receive justice, the people should also receive help.
Whilever they don't understand what's wrong with it, they'll still do it if they can.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shanik

Yes there does seem to perhaps be some mental health issues or somthing with these hoarders ,but that dosent excuse what they have done ,perhaps the public should be more aware of these issues so that somthing can be done to stop them taking in more animals before the situation gets this bad ,surely in alot of these cases the postman ,neighbours etc. could smell and hear all was not well ?
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Kev and I watched it - in shock! The couple certainly should have help, that behaviour isn't normal. One thing I wonder, couldn't they smell it?
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 04:15 PM
These people start of with a good will and it just gets out of hand, they get asked to help rehome something and their collection of animals gets bigger and bigger, the welfare of the animals then starts to suffer but they still carry on taking animals off others, I would lay a winning lottery ticket on the fact that most of their animals had been given to them by those that just wanted 'rid' and couldn't care less where to. It is pitiful for the poor animals concerned and the owners probably need social services' help. Often they are of low intellect - trying to be polite!!!

And to your other question - no they can't smell it, they are so used to it they don't even notice!!!!! :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 04:52 PM
I watched that too, and it was unbelievable!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Harveys Mum
I watched that too, and it was unbelievable!
Did you see the bit about the woman who had 40 dead dogs in her house?

She didn't kill them, she just couldn't part with them when they died.

I can't remember her name but she was actually the first person to win Crufts with a black pomeranian.

There was one dog's remains that had been there 10 years.

I can't imagine what her brother went through when he found her in there with all that, but she just loved them so much she couldn't let them go.

Apparently one dog had been shut in a crate when she died and had almost decapitated itself trying to get it's head out to the food bowl just outside the crate.

Poor woman loved them so much and just didn't realise what she was doing to them, or herself by living in that mess.