Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 12:48 PM

Referral

As some of you might know I've had some problems with my hearing for over a year which got worse in February. I hate my doctors and kept putting off going back to get it sorted cos they were so unsympathetic. Anyway in February I woke up at 6 am with this awful screaming noise, like there was a whistle in my brain. I really paniced then so went back to the doctors. Yet again they fobbed me off with a nasal spray and said come back in 2 months if it doesn't work. It didn't so I went back but saw the female doctor as the other two just don't seem to give two hoots! She said it was about time I had a referral so she arranged an appointment to get it checked out.

Well that was today and although I was nervous I was looking forward to getting it checked and sorted out, the female doc thought it was glue ear as I've had that before and all I would need was gromits.
So I went this morning, had the usual tests tuning fork, audiology tests etc. Was waiting in the waiting room and they called me back. The doctor said I'm sorry but the deafness is permenant, the nerves in your ear were damaged when you had an infection. So I'm gonna be deaf for the rest of my life in my left ear????? I wouldn't care but he said it so matter of factly, like it'd be no problem!!! What the hell am I gonna do I really don't think I can cope with this for the rest of my life, not only am I deaf but theres a constant buzzing/fizzing/swishing noise in my ear which is also permenant.
My poor parents, I was absolutely distraught when I came out and rang them bawling my eyes out, I think they were convinced that I'd crash the car on the way back.
My mams had to ring my placement as I can't possibly face going in, every time I think about it I burst into tears, how am I going to be a nurse if I can't hear properly???
I was really looking forward to getting this sorted out and now I'm stuck like this forever, they even suggested a hearing aid, but it might interfere with my good ear!! I'm only 26 for crying out loud I don't want a hearing aid.
Sorry for going on, but it's impossible to speak to anyone cos I just burst into tears at the thought of it.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh dear Ripsnorter, not exactly the best of news
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 01:05 PM
No, possibly the worst news I've ever had.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Rip, I'm so sorry

We're all here (and that is no pun intended) for you.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks Wolfie, I appreciate that. That's set me off again now! My keyboard's gonna be soaked.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2005, 01:14 PM
so sorry to hear that.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Im sorry to hear your bad news. Theres not a lot I can say to cheer you up wish there was.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 01:36 PM
so sorry to hear that
Meg
Supervisor

13-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry to hear that RS I have problems with my left ear and a buzzing noise but it does not bother me most of the time. It is most noticable when going to sleep so I have the radio on low. You can I believe get a masking device that uses white noise to cover the sound. My father had Tinnitus for most of his life.... It really should not affect your nursing in any way
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Im sorry, i cant say anything that will make you feel better so ill send a big hug your way! (((hugs)))
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >