Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Dog after holidays?

Hi,
When we bought our Chihuahua in January we told the breeder we had a holiday booked in September and she offered to look after him which was great as we didn't want to leave a 10 month old puppy with parents who are getting on a bit.
We picked him up friday after a night flight, he was very quiet his behaviour at home is so much improved as he was a little devil before but we went to dog school last night the trainer couldn't beleive the change in him and not for the better he was ready to go up to the next class but he's gone so far back wouldn't let anyone near him even the trainer he did snap all I could do was say sorry. I feel I've failed him by leaving him with the wrong person. He also has a scab on his nose I was chatting to the trainer and she said she found this to be unaccebtable and she would have had to say something. He's scared of his own shadow any tips on how to bring back some of his spirit except to continue to work on his training?
It's like starting over again.
Thanx.
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I think you should speak to your breeder and tell them about the change in your dog's behaviour since you came back, and also ask if anything happened while you were away that she thinks you should know about, like the scab.

(and probably don't let her look after your dog again!)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2009, 02:45 PM
He's scared of his own shadow any tips on how to bring back some of his spirit except to continue to work on his training?
It's like starting over again.
Hi Miz I would try to build your dogs confidence by giving praise whenever you can and for the simplest thing like doing 'a sit' or simply lying quietly in his bed.

Try sitting on the floor with some high value treats (like a tiny sliver of chicken ) in your outstretched hand and let him come to you in his own time then give a treat/lots of praise when he comes and gently stroke his chest . Ask other members of the family to do the same thing .
It may take a little time to rebuild his confidence if someone has scared him.

This article may be of interest to you...
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8050
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanx guys, got him to sit,paw and lie down today. My mum came over he wanted to go to here but didn't which is fine as she's scared of dogs. He seems to be finding his feet more, just the snapping at people outside, don't know if he thinks theyre gonna take him away bless him.