Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 03:12 PM

kennel cough - help please!

Hi,

we have been on holiday for a week and i picked the dogs up from kennels this morning - they both have kennel cough

I have spoken to the kennels - as nothing was said to me when we picked them up, they just said 'oh we must have missed that then' - I am more than annoyed.
Kenny is not too bad but jazzie is being sick and has a sticky eye too.

What can i do about this? Also does human cough mixture work - the lady at the kennels suggested this????
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
You may be better to take them to the vets in case they need ab's or just let it run its course.

Benylin cough mixture is handy for dogs (the kids one) but i've only used it at the back end of kennel cough.

There will be someone along soon who can give you maybe some better idea of the cough medecines.

Sorry to hear your kennels don't seem to be very good. Did they not check that yours and other persons dogs had their kennel cough vaccinne before accepting them - i know it only covers certain strains, but its a start.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi,

Kennel cough is horrible, my dogs caught it twice last winter!

A soothing cough mixture and a few drops of colloidal silver in the drinking water to boost the immune system is what my pair got. Antibiotics are only useful where there is bacterial infection and KC is viral, although a bacterial infection can follow a virus but I tend to steer clear of ab's where possible. Hope it clears up soon!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Same here I give Benylin childrens expectorant to help with the cough, also Ainsworths do a really good heomoopathic tablet.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
You may be better to take them to the vets in case they need ab's or just let it run its course.

Benylin cough mixture is handy for dogs (the kids one) but i've only used it at the back end of kennel cough.

There will be someone along soon who can give you maybe some better idea of the cough medecines.

Sorry to hear your kennels don't seem to be very good. Did they not check that yours and other persons dogs had their kennel cough vaccinne before accepting them - i know it only covers certain strains, but its a start.
Hiya, thanks. normally they are very good - but have obviously gone down hill, my dogs wont go there again!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:12 PM
When Loki had Kennel Cough the vet advised me to give him Benylin. It did really help. Look for any medicine with guaifenasin as the active ingredient. And if possible, use a harness to walk them when you are taking them out, to avoid irritation on the throat.

Your kennels sounds awful. You must have been livid
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
When Loki had Kennel Cough the vet advised me to give him Benylin. It did really help. Look for any medicine with guaifenasin as the active ingredient. And if possible, use a harness to walk them when you are taking them out, to avoid irritation on the throat.

Your kennels sounds awful. You must have been livid
livid isn't the word!!

And to think i just paid them £160 - for what, two dogs with kennel cough!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
livid isn't the word!!

And to think i just paid them £160 - for what, two dogs with kennel cough!
May be silly - but can can you claim back any of the costs - eg to pay vets etc, surely they must be in breach of contract somewhere??? The fact they didn't tell you is bad enough
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
The trouble is, a lot of kennels take in the strays from the local dog warden etc. and this is how it gets rife throughout the whole kennel. 3 of my local kennels take on the unwanted dogs and all of them are usually having a "bout of kennel cough" almost permanently! I think it would be wise to ask in future how long since they had their last outbreak before leaving your dog in there

It won't be any good trying to make a claim against them because undoubtedly you would have signed some sort of admission form and if you look closely at the small print...... You might be able to claim through your own insurance though for the treatment? Next time maybe get a dog sitter in at home that's what we always do now! I never once picked the dogs up without something or other going on with them, one thing took me ages to cure too, constant barking which one of them picked up, took me ages to cure that one! All the best with your dogs, the Benelyn should help them or honey or molasses licked off a spoon, that's what I used to do with the horse with a sore throat on recommendation from the vet.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Aw hun, what a homecoming!! My boys had kc a little while ago and sadly got bronchitis despite vaccine But benylin worked as well as manuka honey I had to keep them at home for a few weeks to recover....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >