View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 09:17 PM

How do you manage a long drive with your dog?

We are going away to Suffolk coast next week, driving from Bristol and so that is going to be the furthest journey we have made with Sydney. Probably the furthest we have been with her before will have been 2 hours to North Devon.
I suppose this journey is a good 4 hours, possibly longer. She is very good in the car and will be very safe in the back of our 4X4 on her bed with her dog guard.
What I wanted to know was - how often you all stop for dog exercise if you are making a long trip and what kind of places to you stop at? The thought of wandering around a service station car park does not really fill me with great joy and Syd is very, very fussy about where she will "go" - which will not help!!
Any suggestions, ideas gratefully received. We will be looking at the map over the weekend to see if we can find any nice stop-off points en route.
Thanks.
Jo
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 09:27 PM
I travel to the Highlands once or twice a year and the journey takes around six hours. I usually stop twice - once is unfortunately usually a motorway services - although the ones we have stopped at usually have plenty of green spaces for toilet duties. Then once we get into the Highlands there are plenty of places to stop off and stretch our legs and take in the scenery

My dogs both travel really well and they see the car as their second home, so I have never had a problem.

I am sure Syd will be fine Have a nice holiday!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2006, 09:31 PM
You'll have no probs, plenty places to stop and most service areas have a dog bowl with water etc... and plenty room to "go"... you'll be fine
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 09:32 PM
mine travel ok i give resue remedy an hr before we leave i would stop every hr and half just to let them stretch and pee
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I agree with everyone here. Motorway services usually have a lot of green space, some of which is very nice actually. Edges of motorways are know wildlife areas and some of the toileting facilities are surprisingly pleasant. We've also met other travellers with dogs who are generally nice and people resting from journeys who love showering attention on doggies.

Personally I'd never let a dog off lead at the motorway services though as some of the green areas suddenly back straight onto busy roads.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Mine sleep most of the time and as previously said most services have green spaces around for stretching the legs etc. We also travel to the highlands with about 2 stops.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:04 AM
If your dog is used to a journey of 2 hours make that your stopping time.. it's normally time for a cup of tea then anyhow.

Providing it is comfortable in the back and you keep an eye, most normally settle with the motion - especially if they are used to cars.

Have a safe journey x
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 07:17 AM
I drive north to scotland with Minnie several times a year- takes about 3-4 hours-we stop twice-OFF the motorway-for a 10 minute romp/pee break. Its only about 130 miles but I drive slow and with the 2 stops its quite a leisurely affair One thing I do is-as Im on my own I chose a public toilet for myself that I can take Minnie in to- discreetly of course- NEVER leave her in the car
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I drive up to the Highlands quite a few times each year, approx 9-10 hrs driving. I usually stop every two hours to stretch our legs and for Nova to empty. As pointed out, most service areas have grassed areas where Nova can have a walk and some fresh air. Once back in the car she sleeps almost all of the way there. Once we come off the A9 she seems to know that we are nearly there and then sits up to look out of the windows, once we are about a mile from my friends house she starts wittering as she knows exactly where she is!!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Missy and Saffy travel well and settle straight away. Max doesnt. He whines from the moment the car starts until he gets to wherever. We have had to resort to valerian. We stop every 2 hours and that seems to work for my dogs.

Although I do have a funny story about travelling to Keswick. We stopped off on a country lane to give the dogs some water and a quick pee break. Missy and Max were little angels, but Saffy refused to get back in the car after and slipped her collar. She then walked straight into the pub next to the car park and sat down at the bar and I mean sat down at the bar on a bench. Everyone was laffing because she was sat staring over the bar at the staff as if to ask for a pint.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >