View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 04:15 PM

How long does it take to groom/get your dogs ready to go into the ring?

Hey,

Thought i'd make a fun thread as everything is so serious in the showing forum

So, how long does it take to get your dogs ready to go into the ring? I think it would be interesting to hear about all the different breeds. I've always wondered how much work goes into getting the really long haired dogs ready, and breeds like Schnauzers that need trimming. I've seen plenty of those on tables at shows, frantically being trimmed and groomed minutes before they're due in the ring

My dogs need minimum grooming. We dont bath them before every show as it isn't good for the coat (on labs anyway, not sure about other breeds). We bath them every few weeks. The night before the show they get a good brushing (Riley too even though he's not showing anymore, he likes to feel as though he's being included lol!) and they have their feet washed as thye get muddy!! and then, when we're at the show, about ten minutes before our class they get a brush, and a wipe over with some baby wipes. Eyes and face cleaned and then they're pretty much ready to go in!!

I think i am lucky to be able to do so little grooming and still have lovely clean dogs lol!!

So.. Anyone else?!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 04:41 PM
30 seconds. Oh! that is each one, exhausting I can tell you
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Ohhhhh...depends.We only bath the dogs a couple of times a year so it usually just means a good brush.....so a few minutes each dog.However they do get a bath before Crufts...so maybe 15-20 minutes per dog and a quick go over before we go into the ring.
Saying that Kasper is falling to bits at the moment so it will probably take 3 days to remove all the lose fur
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood the question, at the ring site it is only seconds but before, at home, there is the normal grooming that anyone would do for their dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Schnauzers can take weeks if the coat needs stripping right out, otherwise you do a bit of regular stripping/brushing every few days and shorten the hair on ears/chest/tail vent about a week before a big show. Then the night before a show wash the legs and beard. Lakies and Airdales are pretty much the same but no washing ..then at the show it's just a matter of fluffing up the feathers (and brushing chalk in and out again with Minis).

With Cockers it is a matter of constantly stripping out bits to keep tidy/brushing and trimming around the feet with the scissors. On the night before the show bathing (we used to put dolly blue in the rinse water for the orange roans to make them look white). At the show 'silking' the coat with a pure silk pad to make it shine and brushing out the ears and feathers.

Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Ohh well now where do I start.... first of all, they take 2 hours at least once a week for a bath and blow dry. if a trim is needed, another hour or so goes on the time. So the day before a show I pray for dry weather and spend upwards of three hours ensconced in my garage cum grooming room. If I'm taking two or more dogs to a show, I need to give myself a head start, and have the trimming done mid week, and leave myself just the bathing to be done the night before.

I think I might just have talked myself out of bothering with showing ever again, it looks rediculous when you see it written down. I can't understand why I put myself through it.

Dawn R.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I don`t bath my dogs so just a good brushing & little tail trimming day before, then maybe a damp cloth & flick thru with a comb ringside Done in a flash
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Shaddap Christine. I'm having Labs next, or Pointers or summat, I'm really jealous. Quick flick thru ..... the very thought.

Dawn R.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

16-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Nursey
Shaddap Christine. I'm having Labs next, or Pointers or summat, I'm really jealous. Quick flick thru ..... the very thought.

Dawn R.

Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:49 AM
So far this week, it has taken me over 6hrs to prepare two dogs for a show on Saturday and i haven,t bathed them yet! I really enjoy getting them ready for a show, its just the time it takes is sometimes hard to find
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >