Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Hair on back of neck

Just someone attempted to get into my back garden (nothing serious) it was next doors son in law he tried the wrong gate I mean he's only gone there at least every week for about 11 years
The reason for my post is this Sal (Stafford) went ballistic the hair on the back of her neck and all down her back to the tip of her tail when up, at the widest point it must have been about 3 or so inches across her shoulders.

What does this mean - I mean why do the hairs on the back of their neck (in this case all her back) raise up when they are roused?

Karen
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:31 PM
It's to try and make themselves look bigger and scare off the attacker! Only in short haired dogs it just looks amusing I think!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:37 PM
oh good when you move in your new room.she might sort the bratts out who live next door...
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2005, 06:47 PM
It's to give the impression of bigger size Kazz, as has been said, it's also a type of warning, it's when she is silent and stareing I would watch out,
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:50 PM
No Inca if they are kids she will be useless to you she adores them she might keep 'em busy and quiet while she licks them to pieces though.

And HD she did go silent and stare at the gate after barking like a "proper dog" and thats when I called her in. Thought better safe than sorry at that point.

Karen
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:51 PM
kazz indie does this too lol, it makes me laugh. she does it when she sees a dog that looks 'suspicious' or if someone is standing still somewhere in the middle of the hills or something,lol. and she barks and puffs.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:52 PM
If thats the case and I am sure it is. The you would not have found this funny she was quite scary - I promise you.

Karen

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
It's to try and make themselves look bigger and scare off the attacker! Only in short haired dogs it just looks amusing I think!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Star does it when she is unsure of something and when she is excited. Finn does it when he is running about.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
If thats the case and I am sure it is. The you would not have found this funny she was quite scary - I promise you.

Karen
I meant the hair not the dog!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2005, 06:58 PM
She's done it before but this time she meant business - whoever had come through that gate would have wished they hadn't - and Staffs aren't guard dops you know
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >