Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-02-2009, 11:17 PM

what stimulation?

i keep hearing that if i leave my dog at home for a while that i should make sure it has something to stimulate it and keep its mind busy,but how do i do this? any advice is very welcome.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2009, 11:27 PM
You can buy a kong and fill it with paste and freeze it, that'll keep your dog busy for a while x
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Kongs are great,
When I go out I always leave my boy his kong he loves it and it keeps him busy for hours.
You fill it with cheese, dog treats etc and your dogs slowly get the food out it keeps them busy for hours.
I freeze mine as my boy loves ice and it makes it harder to get the filling out.
Nicedog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2009, 01:13 AM
I may be mistaken - but my experience is that my dogs - if left alone at home - don't do much at all.

If they are sleeping in my sofa when I leave - I usually find them sleeping in my sofa when I get back home.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 06:22 AM
I suppose I'm lucky when I have to go out these just get on thier bed and sleep.

But I have heard that kongs are good for those dogs that don't zonk out.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Mine just sleep, too - lazy critters - however, a kong filled with treats/paste is a brilliant diversionary tool
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 09:00 AM
The best remedy for me is to take them on a good walk before leaving them, and then they just sleep. However, a puppy is very different, they won't sleep for more than half hr at a time even if zapped! I've found that out to my cost of late Toys, toys and more toys, big SAFE bones, those white ones that they cannot splinter are ok?
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2009, 09:35 AM
thanks everyone i,ve used filled bones before so im doing something right .
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Walk --> rawhide stick/frozen Kong --> leave house. In that order. After that he just sleeps, so I don't worry too much.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Nicedog View Post
I may be mistaken - but my experience is that my dogs - if left alone at home - don't do much at all.

If they are sleeping in my sofa when I leave - I usually find them sleeping in my sofa when I get back home.
Poppy sleeps - I know this because we have video'd her. I've tried leaving kongs etc, but they are still full when we get back. Toys are in the same place, chew bones etc still in exactly the same place. If it's too warm in the lounge she might move into the kitchen and lay on the lino, other than that, like you say, same place when you get home as when you left!