Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Will he be OK? First time raw

I've never fed raw before but thought it would be an idea to try chicken wings and see how it went.
I gave them one each and kept them apart. Dale outside and Chip in. Well Chip crunched away and finished it no problems.
Dale came back in so I assumed he'd eaten his as well. But no, he'd left his in the garden, uneaten. When Chip went out he grabbed it , ran off and swallowed the second wing so fast he couldn't have chewed it.
Now can a six month old puppy digest it or will it cause problems because it wasn't chewed?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:54 PM
He might hawk it back up, but he'll probably just re eat it.

TBH it's best to not give chicken wings as a first raw food until you know how they are going to chew it. They'd be better off with something bigger like a bone in chicken breast or a chicken quarter with bones in.

There's loads of good info in the raw feeding members section on how to get started.

I would recommend keeping hold of the chicken wing until your dogs learn how to chew.

HTH
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I used pliers to hold wings with my gulper
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:02 PM
He still seems fine. I suppose it was my fault. I tried to get it away from him when I saw he'd got Dale's so he swallowed it fast We should have called him Dyson.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
)
Just keep an eye on him and make sure he poos tomorow
If he is looking in distress then get him to the vets
But I am sure he will be fine
I know lots of big dogs swallow chicken wings down whole no problem - its natural
But you are right his insides may not be acidic enough yet to fully digest all that bone - but as Sarah27 says he will prob just 'reverse swallow' (polite way of saying spew) it and crunch it back down for a 2nd try
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
We should have called him Dyson.
This made me smile

My foster staffy got hold of a golf ball sized piece of frozen liver that Bryan had left yesterday. She swallowed it whole then came into the front room, hawked it up onto the front room carpet then swallowed it again.

All this happened in the time it took me to get up from the settee (about 10 seconds!). She was fine though