Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Help Help Help, Now at a Loss

As most of you know Milo is a highly allergic dog and has suffered Anemia, itching, weight loss etc etc due to his allergies. Finally I thought I had found a food that was suiting him Hills ZD Ultra allergenic perscription diet. He had never tolerated any dried food before.
However I have just read this about the food
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1079&cat=7

Now I am not sure this has enough in to keep him on and I am not keen on feeding him sawdust
I thought of feeding him a fresh diet but chicken makes him scratch and fish makes him quite ill. I did however try him on a nice fresh uncooked beef bone 2 weeks ago and he seemed to have no adverse reaction except he managed to choke himself on a bit of bone and scare me half to death, so I don't really want to feed him anything with bone in and to buy him best beef would cost a fortune and that would not be a balanced diet.
Any suggestions and opinions please all will be welcome as this is causing me a real headache.
I have tried practically all other allergenic complete foods and he has reacted badly to all.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2008, 10:56 PM
If Milo is doing well on it and there is no alternative I would keep him on it
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:01 PM
In that review though it does say its not designed for longterm use and I have noticed twice in the last week or two his gums looking a bit pale again, so was worried it was his anemia rearing its head again, because he is once again on dry food.
Also one of the ingredients is carcinogenic which is rather worrying.
Carole
Supervisor

07-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Its a hard decision to make

How long has Milo been on the food and what does your vet say about the food?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:13 PM
He has been on it for approx 2 months or so now and it was my vet who finally persuaded me to try it. She admitted she is no nutritionalist though but thought it worth a go.
I may go back to her with what this link says and ask her advice. I done a course and exam in Dog and cat nutrition many many years ago but am rather rusty now and out of touch with all these new foods that keep appearing. However it was that, that made me recognise Milos food allergies so quickly and work on them.
Just wondered if anyone on here could comment or advise as I won't get to speak to my vet before the end of next week as she is away.
Carole
Supervisor

07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hopefully someone on here will be able to give you some advice on the food
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Poor you that sounds like a bit of a nightmare

Personaly I would think about a home cooked or raw diet
but taking it really easy, trying one food for a few weeks to check for no reactions and sloooowly trying out different foods

- Sure best beef would be dear, but you could start off with frozen beef mince - v cheep
I wouldnt give beef bones anyway, I am sure you would be able to find outher bones that are better for him, and even if he couldnt manage any bones some people do well on eggshells or yoghurt

You only need a balanced diet over time, a few weeks on one protien source till his allergies calm down will do him nothing but good

Best of luck, sounds heartbreaking
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Poor you that sounds like a bit of a nightmare

Personaly I would think about a home cooked or raw diet
but taking it really easy, trying one food for a few weeks to check for no reactions and sloooowly trying out different foods

- Sure best beef would be dear, but you could start off with frozen beef mince - v cheep
I wouldnt give beef bones anyway, I am sure you would be able to find outher bones that are better for him, and even if he couldnt manage any bones some people do well on eggshells or yoghurt

You only need a balanced diet over time, a few weeks on one protien source till his allergies calm down will do him nothing but good

Best of luck, sounds heartbreaking
Thankyou. perhaps I will get a little Beef mince and give him a small amount each day to see how he goes and if there is any reaction.
He has to have 4 meals a day as otherwise he gets very acidy and brings up bile.
2 of the meals are larger and 2 smaller so I could replace one of his smaller meals and see what happens.
If all goes well and I do eventually want to or have to change him completely what else would I have to feed to make sure his diet is balanced with enough Vits and minerals. I think he may react to anything egg so egg shells would more than likely be out. Not sure about yogurt though
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2008, 02:06 AM
When he was a youngster, Snorri-dog had hellish bad breath: the stink even came through from his coat. As he was epileptic, we tried him on cheapo supermarket "own brand" beef mince. This proved no more expensive than the canned **** that he and Kali used to disdain. Bingo! No more pong and an apparent increase in the efficacy of his anticonvulsant drugs. He spent the rest of his life eating that, with kibble (initially PChum, but latterly Royal Canin). Kali still scoffs it happily - no unacceptable, unnatural smells*, no puking, and no leftovers.

Snorri

(*PS: it doesn't stop him farting a bit, though..........)
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Have you seen this site?

http://www.dogaware.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >