Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2008, 10:55 AM

Help! My pup just killed a chicken!

Oh my God, our 8 months old Kooiker pup has just killed a "free ranging" chicken! The last time we went in that area he chased one, but I was able to catch him and put him back on the lead. This time my husband was out with him. He had done the recall, but just before he clipped on the lead the dog saw the chicken and bolted! As we speak, my husband is delivering a letter to the owners (who, fortunately,were out at the time of the kill). I feel sick! To make matters worse, we are Brits living in Belgium. Not good for international relations! Has anyone else has this experience? And did the dog live to see another day?Comments please! Thank you!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
My first question is why was he off lead in the same area if he's behaved in this way before? Makes no sense to me.....
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Your dog did what the majority of dogs would do given the opportunity. They key is not to give him the opportunity.

I would doubt that your dog can be destroyed for killing a chicken but if I were you, I would be grovelling to the owner and offering whatever compensation is appropriate.

In future, avoid the area as you know there are free ranging chickens or keep your dog on a lead or long line so that he is 100% under control.

I know with absolute certainty that one of my dogs would not recall from livestock so we simply dont go to places where there might be any or he remains on lead. That way, the animals are safe and, more importantly to me, HE is safe.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear your news, but as Vicki has said, once you knew the pup showed a unhealthy interest then you/OH really should of kept him/her on a lead in this area. Personally if it was one of mine I'd offer to pay for thier loss and avoid the area altogether if possible, if I had to go there then I'd keep the pup on a lead. I doubt whether they will ask you to have your pup pts, but I think they would be in thier rights to be annoyed and insist you keep control of it.

Hope you get it all sorted.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
these things happen, at least you can offer to pay to replace the dead chicken. I would just say to the owners how sorry you are and that you will keep the dog on a lead when in the are in future, so they feel reassured. Don't beat your self up animals do these things. I hardly think its a matter where the dog would be put to sleep. I remember previously on here that someones dog killed a ginuie (sp) pig and it was said to be one of them things and that it was instinct the same can be said here. You can now take steps to avoid it happening again x
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Usually I'm the one who walks him, but this time it was my husband. He hadn't realised that the chickens lived at that house. (It's some weeks since I told him of the chicken chase, and I think only the second time he's walked in that area). I'm not making excuses, just telling you the background.....I'll certainly take heed of yuor comments. First thing tomorrow I'm off to but an extending lead.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
It is normal dog behaviour and the pup is not to blame, sorry to say it is the dog walker who should be taken to task over the incident and, of course, the owner of the chicken should be compensated for the loss and then some.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Murphy has killed 2 of next doors chickens (who were in our garden at the time)...

Unfortunately, it's what dogs do

I would offer to buy a few more birds for them, and maybe something to cover the cost of a months feed etc...
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. At least your dog could be said to be defending his territory!
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:09 PM
sorry to read this .why dont you go back to the owners and offer to get them another chicken (it will never replace the one they lost ,but it might help ,along with a lot of sorrys )i would deff keep him on the lead in future .its upsetting for all concerned
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >