View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:06 PM

Think I Need To Crate Train.....Help....

Ok, so Koda is 9wks now. We've tried and tried without a crate to housetrain, but in the month we've had him, theres been no progress

So im getting a crate tonight....Going to fetch it in a bit!

what size should i get? small/med/large etc? or in inches??

And any other tips please....many thankss

xxx
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh & meant to add......... Its not too late to start is it??

x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:22 PM
There is an article on Dogsey about crate training..

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552

As for size, it will depend on whether you are planning to use it when he's grown up.

What is your house training routine? - are you expecting him to tell you when he needs to go out - if so, imo, he's far too young for that - in most cases the pups would only just be leaving their mum at the age he is now (I guess there were reasons for you getting him so young?)
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I would always get a bigger one than is recommended for the dogs size when fully grown
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Hali -
Yes i know he is very young, That age is a guess, we were sold him as an 8wk old but when we took him to our vets, they said he was more 5/6weeks. so having had him a month he is approx 9/10wks

xx
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Koda

Your pup is still very young, don't be too disappointed if progress with the house training is a bit slow. Are you taking him outside every hour plus after meals and when he wakes up? It will feel as if his bladder is training you, you will get to know it so well. I even got up at night to take my pup outside, so he didn't feel it was ok to mess indoors sometimes but not others.

Good luck.

Maxine
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
PS That was once in the night!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi Koda. I would get a large one so it will do for when fully grown if you still intend to use it and for now you can block an area off so he feels secure in it. Be patient with the toilet training he will get there. Dogs under 4 months cannot control their bladder anyway so you have a ways to go yet. But like has been said you need to take him out regularly and praise praise praise, but crate training is a good idea as dogs do not like to toilet where they sleep. I used a crate on Ivan from day one and he never had an accident once he would just cry and cry if he needed to go so I am a big fan!! Best of luck xx