Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 09:44 AM

Possesivness

Hi all
I have a problem with one of my spaniels, Alfie. We have had them a while now and there has been no bother with them and Roxy our GSD really.
Alfie though the past couple of weeks has been really possesive over toys and his bed. He has been growling and snapping at Max and now growls when the kids go near him.This is usually when he is in his bed.
He has only done it to me once just now and I took the toys off him.
I dont know why he is doing it all of a sudden but obviously my main concern is my kids, the youngest is 5,as he is not only growling but snapping as well.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 10:39 AM
The first thing I would do is get him checked over by the vet - if he is not feeling 100%, this could be the reason for his growling/snapping.

If the vet can't find anything physically wrong, the next question would be whether anything has changed. You don't say how old the dogs are or how long they've been with you - all that may play a part (but equally may not).

It will be very difficult for anyone to give you any specfic advice on line and I would say, particularly as there is aggression and children involved, you should look to getting in an experienced behaviourist to help you identify what is going on and how to stop it.

In the meantime, I would be tempted to remove the toys and to make sure your children leave the dog alone when he is in his bed (which imo should be a rule for all children anyway).

Good luck, it must be very worrying for you.
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks. He is 2 1/2 and we have had them both 3 months from an animal shelter. They were both really nervous when we got them home but Alfie has overcome that.

The children have been told to leave the dogs when in beds. What is happening Max usually sits a foot or two in front of the bed and the kids go to say hello to him and Alfie snaps then.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
Thanks. He is 2 1/2 and we have had them both 3 months from an animal shelter. They were both really nervous when we got them home but Alfie has overcome that.

The children have been told to leave the dogs when in beds. What is happening Max usually sits a foot or two in front of the bed and the kids go to say hello to him and Alfie snaps then.
well, as i say, I would check first for any physical problems - pain really can cause many dogs to become quite aggressive.

I would also contact the animal shelter - many of them have behaviourists who can work with you to hopefully sort the problem out - or if they don't have their own, they may be able to recommend someone.
Vicky@Eukanuba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree with Hali. He may be in pain so it's best to get him checked at the vets.

A dog behaviourist should be able to help change Alfie's attitude towards toys. You can also start teaching him that they are your toys and you are just lending them to him by locking them away. Only give him a toy during playtime or as a reward. After play time, put them back so he cannot get to them whenever he wants to.

It may take Alfie a little while to get used to being around children. Again, I agree with Hali. As this is more serious it would be best to contact a behaviourist. Good luck, I'm sure you will sort it out and he will be a wonderful dog!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Another point to consider is at he needs to know his place in the pack and that any children are higher in the pack . You could do this by getting the children to put down the food bowls to the dogs and also doing a little reward based training just simple things like sit etc . This would all have to be closely supervised by you of course . This has to be nipped in the bud now or it my get worse . He has to see that children are a good thing .
I would also remove the toys and you bring them out and you put them away again at the end of play
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Well not sure if it is toys now. My poor youngest just went to say hello to Max and Alfie came charging out his bed growling and snapping making poor Max wet himself.

When he is just wandering the house though he is fine which I would have thought if he was in pain he would be anti children all the time.

To be honest with you , since having him , he is the one I trust the least, he used to give us funny looks but put it down to him settling in. He has never shown aggression before though and is very much a fussy dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Can I recommend you get the book `Mine!` by Jean Donaldson. Also, as it doesn`t sound like this is a simple case of resource guarding, maybe consider having a behaviourist to help with it? Be careful who you use though - there are some pretty awful unqualified ones out there! One woman was told to throw a chain on the floor when her Jack Russel barked (from fear) The poor dog just got more terrified (it was sorted out by a properly qualified behaviourist).
I know it is difficult but I would ask the children to ignore the dogs completely. If they are not demanding a response (saying hello, wanting to make friends etc) the dog can relax and learn to co-exist. Also, it puts the onus on the dog to learn how to please them to gain play or treats.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
Hi all
I have a problem with one of my spaniels, Alfie. We have had them a while now and there has been no bother with them and Roxy our GSD really.
Alfie though the past couple of weeks has been really possesive over toys and his bed. He has been growling and snapping at Max and now growls when the kids go near him.This is usually when he is in his bed.
He has only done it to me once just now and I took the toys off him.
I dont know why he is doing it all of a sudden but obviously my main concern is my kids, the youngest is 5,as he is not only growling but snapping as well.
Hi Charliegirl I won't repeat the good advise already posted but I will just add if any sudden change of behaviour occurs in a dog a health check should be undertaken.

I note you say you took toys off Max, do you do this regularly and have others done it? Taking things from a dog can make it more posessive, if you were eating a bar of chocolate and I walked over and took it from you how would you feel ?

A toy or anything a dog is chewing can be seen by the dog as a 'precious possession' to be retained at all costs. If you need to take something from your dog it is best to offer to swap it with something else like a biscuit.
It may also help to train your dog to 'leave it' and 'drop it' like this , it is a good idea to train puppies to leave and drop items when they are young..

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:z...k&cd=4&gl=u k
and 'to drop' like this...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvPna...eature=related

If the dogs are together playing with toys it is a good idea to make sure they are playing in a large area and can 'escape' from each other and if the game gets too heated remove the toy by 'swaps' as described.
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I have never had a need to take toys away but when my children cannot walk around the house because Alfie (not Max) is guarding then I had no choice and it had to be done right then.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >