Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Do any of yoru dogs do this?

WHile in Cardiff recently we met a woman with a Coon hound x beagel. It was a lovely dog and very keen to play, but his play was odd!

Tonks and him chased each other for a while and then he kept grabbing hold of the base of her tail and holding it in his mouth as they ran. Tonks was very surpirsed at this and ran with her ears back, hackles up and tail tucked right under. But as soon as he stopped she ran back for more.

I've never seen a dog play like this before...........neither had Tonks!!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Neither have I! This is Freda being chased by her brother - he was getting very close to her tail so she's tucked it in - perhaps if she wasn't docked?

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Mmmm maybe - he's got his mouth open ready!!

This dog was grabbing it right at the top and tipping his head sideways as he ran to hold it better.

Don't think my mum's dog had ever seen it done either he was dashing up and watching as close as he could get safely (without having his tail grabbed), my OH said he looked like a boxing referee dodging in and out!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:36 AM
One of our terriers was obsessed with our wolf hound's tail (which admittedly is HUGE). It seemed to be very playful and the WH didn't seem to mind but we were very concerned that it only takes an accidentally hard chomp and we have a SERIOUS problem so it is play behaviour that we have actively discouraged - and been succesful at thank goodness.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
One of our terriers was obsessed with our wolf hound's tail (which admittedly is HUGE). It seemed to be very playful and the WH didn't seem to mind but we were very concerned that it only takes an accidentally hard chomp and we have a SERIOUS problem so it is play behaviour that we have actively discouraged - and been succesful at thank goodness.
Good idea. I don't think Tonks was that keen but luckily is very friendly. I am sure a not so friendly dog might have had something more to say about it!

P.s. i'd love to have a wolfhound!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:45 AM
LOL yes - hopefully Tonks wasn't too shocked! I have to admit if my dog was indulging in that kind of play with other people's (i.e. strange/unknown) dogs i would step in immediately. You certainly wouldn't be sure that other dogs would put up with it!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
LOL yes - hopefully Tonks wasn't too shocked! I have to admit if my dog was indulging in that kind of play with other people's (i.e. strange/unknown) dogs i would step in immediately. You certainly wouldn't be sure that other dogs would put up with it!
yes, same here! it's all good experience for Tonks i suppose. I was considering stopping it, but she kept running back for more so can't have been that distressed! She did pursuade him to have a wrestle insted of the tail pulling game though!
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:49 AM
this is how my 2 play all the time.. it`s a way of catching each other

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
this is how my 2 play all the time.. it`s a way of catching each other

Yep that's it! But Tonks' tail is considerably less fluffy!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Well my son's JRT does it to mine, she chases them and holds fast on thier tails when she has caught up.

They've got smart though and keep thier tails tucked under
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >