Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Training Lead - Size? Where to buy?

Hi

I am getting a Beagle pup in 5 weeks time and I want to get a training lead to teach him recall with! I am not sure what to get though! Pets at home do a 10 metre one that is £13.99 wanted to get a cheaper one really so had a look on Ebay and they do ones that are like £5 but are only 10ft! Just wondering is it best to go for a really long one or start with a smaller one? Not sure if 10metres seems to big?? Also anyone know of any good places to buy one?

Thanks
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
The longer the better mate!

I was always advised to start small (small distance) and increse bit by bit i would go for the 10 meter or better still get down to B&Q and get the bits and bobs to make your own to whatever length you need.

Good luck with the recall when your little pup arrives!

Just seen the pics in another post what i little cutie!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Buy a trigger hook (which will probably cost £1) and a long length of rope (a few ££ tops) and make one as long as you like. Far cheaper than buying an expensive one.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
TRPD (google "Pet Craft Project") make them in all different lengths, widths and colours. Very reasonable and the profits go to help dog charities across the UK. The site is forum-based, so you can post your request directly. Fab quality too - I've bought all kinds of doggy things from them.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Go to a good horse supply shop and get a horse lunging lead

mine is 25ft long and cost £4!!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi,

I'd agree with Gemma.

Since my Son, Oscar started horse riding lessons back in April I've bought a few lead ropes and lunging leads.

They seem to be far easier ont he hands (one of them is VERY soft), easy to wash & keep clean and relatively cheap (at least compared to dog leads).

Or if there's a particular type of lead you want but it's too expensive have you tried ebay?

Be careful with the 30ft/10m leads from Just for Pets (if you get one of these) - I used one last year on Zane when it was brand new and he pulled unexpectedly. The lead was wrapped around my hand and as he pulled I lost some of the skin on the inside of my knuckles on my 3rd & 4th finger of my left hand. Needless to say, my fingers swelled up and I couldn't get my rings off!

Laura xx