Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnimalLover2008
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Overweight dog - Diet plan

Hello everyone... Do you think my dog will be ok with this until she shifts a few pounds.

My dog Bonnie is approx 5 years old Welsh Springer Spaniel. She weighs 30.1kg, but should weigh 20kg, The vet told me this. I have recently gave her a home as i found her on the streets, took her to the police station and she was not claimed.
To start her on a diet will it be ok if i give her Half a tin of Dog food, with a few treats amoung the day. The treats will be 3-4 Biscuits, or do you think she will go hungry?.

Many thanks for your help, Any advice is appreciated.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
There are many complete foods on the market, for the purpose of overweight dogs.

I used Burns, and found it very effective Good luck with Bonnie and well done for taking her on x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
I would opt for a complete food that is a lighter version aimed at overweight dogs. Once the weight has been lost it can still be used as a weight maintenance food. The food should be weighed accurately & amounts not guessed at. It's worth signing up for a nurses clinic(as long as they are free-they are at our vets)to monitor her weight-if they don't run these then popping in once a month to just weigh her is another way of monitoring her weight.

Don't forget to up her exercise-swimming is a good calorie burner

Doesn't have to be mega expensive & raw veggies can be used to bulk up the reduced portions
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
If you want to feed dry, Burns High Oats is good for overweight dogs. You feed the amount for the dogs TARGET not actual weight, though (it explains all this on the bag).

Mary
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Good luck, and a raw carrot is a good calorie free treat for her too. She could have one large one sliced lengthwise, (or get the thinner longer ones) so she gets four long pieces each day and she'll love chewing on it!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Have just managed to get one of my dogs to trim down using High Oats and carrots as treats. Worked well, he is still in good nick and noticeable slimmer.
AKitaChi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Agree with most here I used Burns high oats to help get the flab off my Akita last year & it worked a treat . It's not too expensive either. Much cheaper than what the vets would get you to but. Also added in an extra 15 min walk daily.
AKitaChi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Also I changed how I fed. Before dieting I was feeding her 1/3 of her meal AM and the other 2/3 in the evening. So I swapped it round so she had the bulk of it in the morning instead. So she burnt more of it off during the day and less sitting in her stomach at night time.
AnimalLover2008
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Thankyou to every ones advice
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by AKitaChi View Post
Also I changed how I fed. Before dieting I was feeding her 1/3 of her meal AM and the other 2/3 in the evening. So I swapped it round so she had the bulk of it in the morning instead. So she burnt more of it off during the day and less sitting in her stomach at night time.
That is very interesting because I was told to feed a smaller amount in the morning so that portion would be burnt off and then some through the day and then feed the larger amount at night.

I guess once their evening meal is finished and they settle down for the night, they arent actually burning any of that off so your method makes far more sense!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >