Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:51 PM

Question About Spaying

I have to go into hospital in 3 weeks time for back surgery. Missy will be due to come into season in June (her last season started on 22nd December). I will be out of action for a few weeks after my surgery and I don't think it is fair to expect my mum to cope with a bitch in season , so I was wondering would it be safe to book her into the vet next week to be spayed , so close to her next season ? That would give me time to care for her before I go into hospital , and my mum or anyone walking Missy while I recover , wouldn't need to worry about her being in season .
( p.s. I need to log off now as I need to get ready for work. I will check for any answers when I get home in the morning. ).
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 01:38 AM
If her last season was late December and she's due June, I would say she would be fine if you got her done next week. Wouldn't leave it any later though in case she comes in early and also that would mean she'll be back to normal by the time you go into hospital. I know people prefer mid season but it's not always possible when you have a bitch that isn't regular (like mine, she was all over the place)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me, and you've obviously given it a good deal of thought. Check with your vet if you're still unsure, honey x
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks folks . I would have preferred to have her done mid season but the circumstances every year so far have not allowed. The year I got her , She came in a week after I got her. Her next one was only 5 months later (she was only 2 years old then ) , but then she also hurt her leg that year and ended up having surgery. After months of slowly getting her fit again , that cancelled out another year. I got the chance to go to agility classes in February the following year , then again in the autumn. As she was doing so well in training , I didn't want to give her a break at that time. Then , my back went so I couldn't do anything , let alone nurse a newly spayed bitch. That counted out the season she had in December , and I'm only fit enough now to do more. As she is overactive , and I live in an upstairs flat , I would at least need to put her on lead to let her out to the toilet. She usually races flat out along the hallway and leaps off the top 3 steps onto a little landing. Coming back in , she'd leave a greyhound standing the speed she hurtles back upstairs. There's no way I could let her do that straight after she has been spayed. I was going to wait until after her next season , but then I found out 2 weeks ago that I was to have surgery on my back. The neurosurgeon told me it would be done in June , then on Wednesday morning , I got a letter from the hospital to say I am to be admitted for surgery in 3 weeks time ! So , if my vet can do her next week , that would fit in with everything else and I wouldn't need to worry about her coming into season when I am not able to look after her (she bleeds for 3 weeks then in week 4 , she would try to escape from the garden at any opportunity). I will give my vet a call today and see what he says.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 06:42 AM
I hope you manage to get her booked in as it certainly sounds like a good solution. Good luck.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks Fudgeley , I'll give the vet a call later today. I'm off to bed now as I'm not long home from working nightshift. I will let you know what the vet says later .
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Just a wee update. I phoned the vet yesterday and he is happy to spay Missy next week. She goes in on Tuesday morning at 8-45am , they will phone me around lunch time to let me know how she is and when I can bring her home. I should have her back home late afternoon.