Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Altenative therapies ?

Dale's definitely not using his back leg properly and since he's only 17 months I'd like to try to sort it out.
The vets have x-rayed but found nothing. I suspect he injured himself playing with another puppy when he was about 7 months, because I know exactly when the trouble started.

I've heard of a treatment but I'm not sure what its called. The ? Technique I knew one dog that was helped a lot by it but I've lost touch with owner. They felt all along Barney's spine and seemed to work a bit like chiropractics but also worked with muscles. Has anyone any idea what its called or any experience of alternative treatments.

There is another vet near us who does various things but I hesitate to change vets and I don't want to waste money.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Sorry cann't help, sure someone can though, but why not try the other vet by asking for a second opinion or just give them a ring and ask them if they have heard of what you have mentioned, they may tell you over the phone. I've only ever used Hydrotherapy and accupunture. Hope you find out what your looking for.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Could it be Alexander Technique? As far as I know that's all to do with posture and walking properly but I've never heard of it for dogs. If your vet doesn't know of anyone to refer you to there would be no harm in ringing up the other practice to ask about the practitioner and then getting your own vet to refer you. Or just approach the person yourself. Often they will want to speak to your vet anyway. I think you need to be referred by a vet for the insurance to cover it.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I took my dog to an animal chiropractor & she insisted the vet was informed before I went. I didn't continue as she was a distance away & the car journey wasn't helping as he has always had a fear of car travel but it did help him at the actual time.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Not being nosey but what vet are you using,xxxxxxxxxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
it might be soft tissue problem which wouldnt show up on xray,you might try a few days of NSAID therapy and see if it helps
madhouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Bowen technique? I don't think there's much contact though, but is a re-balancing therapy - good for nerve & tissue damage.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. It was the Bowen technique that helped Barney. Funny how you remember things when someone says it I think I may get another vet to take a look first. Just in case something's been missed.