View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 06:46 PM

help!, my gsd wont let other dogs come near me?

hi everyone, when a dog comes near me, even if its just for a fuss my gsd is straight at my feet and growls at the other dog and if they dont move he will go for them. i have tried moving away but he just follows me, have even tried the pet corrector to make him move away but he still just stays at my feet. he even does this with a dog he used to play with all the time. any ideas anyone
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi Kirsty,
Is this a new behaviour, or one that has always happened but become worse?
What is he like with other dogs in general?
How old is he?
Sorry lots of questions, but it helps to have a clearer picture.
I am sure someone can give you some helpful advice.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Hi Kirsty,
Is this a new behaviour, or one that has always happened but become worse?
What is he like with other dogs in general?
How old is he?
Sorry lots of questions, but it helps to have a clearer picture.
I am sure someone can give you some helpful advice.
hes just all of a sudden started doing it really. most dogs he is fine with, doesn't like the odd 1 or 2 and gets posessive over his ball if another dog tries to get it. he is nearly 3 years old. i can tell when he is at my legs growling at the other dog that he is scared really
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
hes just all of a sudden started doing it really. most dogs he is fine with, doesn't like the odd 1 or 2 and gets posessive over his ball if another dog tries to get it. he is nearly 3 years old. i can tell when he is at my legs growling at the other dog that he is scared really
If you think he is fearful, then pet corrector spray will make it worseas he will associate the spray with the other dog confirming his anxieties.
Has something happened to him with another dog recently that would make him fearful? If it is a fearful/confidence thing, then you need to build his confidence up slowly, so that he starts to associate other dogs as a good thing.

Is he on lead or off when this happens? Sorry more questions.

Do you have someone who has a bombproof dog, who won't react to your dog?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Kirsty i notic ein another thread that you have a very young puppy, has your GSD only started this growling since the new puppy arrived???? Did you have the new pup with you?
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 08:26 PM
doesn't make any difference if he is on or off lead. nothing has happened recently no, he tends to be the 1 that starts the fights.
sorry ive confused you that is pics of him when he was a pup
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 08:28 PM
oh, you mean the lab pup. that is a friends dog. hes not been out on a walk with her yet
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Is he a complete male by any chance? It's possible he may be seeing you as his "woman" and nobody else can have you. I only ask because I had a Jack Russel who was like this and around that age he became very hormonal.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2008, 11:39 AM
From the little info you have given it sounds as if he is claiming you as his possession, you say he also does it with his ball.
Sorry I know it's difficult but can you elaborate a bit more, as it's hard for anyone to offer any advice without actually seeing what is going on, but we might understand it better with more info.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Does he do it with both sexes. If its just males could be a hormonal change & he regards you as his alpha female, If its both sexes sounds more like jealousy. I had a dog who tried this on as a teenager but a few corrections from me & a muzzle for a while eased the situation. However I was never fully trusting of him with other males when he was close to me. Trouble is that doubt then goes down the lead.