View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Opinions Please (dog will only relieve itself at home)

Hi all,
This may seem a silly question,and i suppose it dosnt really matter but i've never come across it before ,anyway our pup (border collie 8 months old )is clean indoors no problem at all,but she never does a wee or poo when were out on our usual walk ,well with the exception of twice but both very far between ,i've tried saying in a cheery voice have a wee rube,but no ,i do remember gemma was 6 months old befor she done it as a regular thing ,any suggestions ?? thanks olly
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I wish my dog didn't He does at least 2 poo's each walk, I have to carry loads of bags with me... It may just happen as she gets older, our last setter did wee's but never a poo on a walk... such a good well behaved girl, saved them for the garden!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Do you mean she'll go in your garden but nowhere else?

If so, that's the opposite of mine .. Kip would never go in the garden and Hoki only does if she's really desperate.

I think with collies in particular its very much a 'routine' thing - evidently Rube has learnt the garden is where she goes, so that's what she does.

If you do want her to go elsewhere, first thing in the morning, don't let her out in the garden, take her straight out for a walk. Hopefully she will need to go and when she does, make sure you praise her. If you keep this up for a few mornings, I'm sure she will soon suss out that it is ok to pee/poo when out on walks.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I have the same thing with my Bichon she absolutely refuses to pee or poo anywhere else but our back garden, my Cav on the other hand insists on marking every 5 steps and manages a poo everytime we're out! I just put it down to their own quirks!

Is there a particular reason why you want her to "go" on walks?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Teagan didn't ever go to the toilet on a walk until she had her first season.
Now she prefers to do it on walks!
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Jaz is the same, she doesn't like to do it on walks. The only time she ever does one is when I don't have any bags on me!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi Olly this is not at all unusual particularly in puppies who get used to relieving themselves in one place and that is a good thing and helps with house training.

As dogs mature and reach puberty with the hormone surge, for most 'relieving themselves' becomes not just about 'emptying' but also relates to marking territory.
Some dogs continue to prefer 'to go' at home though even when they mature
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 04:32 PM
My big girl is nearly 3yrs old and will not poo or wee out on a walk. She is just not relaxed enough, so as soon as i get in its straight out in the garden for her where with almost a sigh and smile of relief she relieves herself. It doesn't bother me as it saves me walking miles swinging a full poo bag looking for a bin or having to pack it in my car to bring home.
My JRT on the other hand marks everywhere on his walk and always has at least one poo sometimes 2, so our walks with him are geared to places where there are poo bins by the plenty. i hate carrying full poo bags so i would be thankful if I was you, much easier to scoop it up in the back garden
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all your replys ,no real reason why i would want her to go on walks ,but never coming across it before it seemed strange .anyway thanks for you replys .
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Misty used to do this she grew out of it with age. Saying that even now she won't go potty if shes on a lead only when shes off lead.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >