Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:03 AM

I've been offered a dog!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I looked after a dog for a friend a little while back and he is a bit of a handful.

It seems that he has got too much for his owner, she's 5 foot and 6 stone wet through and he must be 2 stone heavier. Her husbands shifts have changed and he isn't home much and he is just too much for her.

She has asked me if I want to take him. He is a lovely dog, just needs a bit of training but I am split between wanting him (heart) and wondering if it might upset the happy home I have at the moment (head).

The OH is no help, he said if I want him, get him. The kids are both putting the guilt trip on me saying that I will worry about him if I don't take him (very true).

Please help!!!!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Oh crikey - it's a bit of a dilemma isn't it? I can only advise what I would do in that situation, and I've been in it a couple of times with my dogs' breeder (she likes me to take one on every now and again).
Personally, and this really is from a personal point of view, I would leave well alone. I couldn't cope with another dog - three's quite enough.
However, if you feel you can - truly and honestly - then why not?
I've not been much help at all, have I
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2007, 07:25 AM
To be honest I would offer help with the training and try to keep him where he is. Perhaps with a bit of help she will manage him better, and if not then you would still have the option of taking him on. Probably not much help either as I tend to be a bit of a soft touch myself where dogs are concerned which is why I have 4.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh crikey - it's a bit of a dilemma isn't it? I can only advise what I would do in that situation, and I've been in it a couple of times with my dogs' breeder (she likes me to take one on every now and again).
Personally, and this really is from a personal point of view, I would leave well alone. I couldn't cope with another dog - three's quite enough.
However, if you feel you can - truly and honestly - then why not?
I've not been much help at all, have I
Hi Vicki,

This is what I've been like all night.

I think 'Yes, I'll have him' and then 5 minutes later I think 'No, I won't'

I've got to make my mind up soon so that she can look elsewhere if I say no. The timing is so off with Christmas coming up. I won't be able to take any holiday as we're too busy. Having said that, he is used to being left all day and the kids are at home from college on odd days. He could be crated while I was out, but I don't personally like crates.

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
To be honest I would offer help with the training and try to keep him where he is. Perhaps with a bit of help she will manage him better, and if not then you would still have the option of taking him on. Probably not much help either as I tend to be a bit of a soft touch myself where dogs are concerned which is why I have 4.
Hi Trouble,

I've been giving her advice for a while but it is a case of wrong dog for the family. He is so headstrong and wilful and she sounds like a little girl so when she tries to be firm with hin he thinks that she is playing. He is fine when her OH is about but his hours have increased and he is rarely home til late.

I did warn her before she got him that he might be too much for her but 'he is such a cute puppy' seemed to have won the day
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-11-2007, 07:46 AM
What a dilemma for you.What about writing a pros and cons list before making any definite decisions.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Put a pic up of him, we can all vote & then you have to do what we say! Then ifd irt all goes wrong you can blame me!!!

However Cos i believe in FATE, im going to vote for you to have him!!! (just BTW!!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
Hi Trouble,

I did warn her before she got him that he might be too much for her but 'he is such a cute puppy' seemed to have won the day
Oh give her a slap then.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Oh give her a slap then.

and then take the dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, you have to really consider the down sides first and foremost.........how will it effect your resident dogs, holidays, money (more food, more vet bills etc etc), how will walks be managed.........the list is endless.

Then you'll probably go and get him anyway but at least you'll have thought of all the things that can go wrong!! :smt002
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Ohh hard one - but you must remember there is always a reason for the warning bells to sound, perhaps it is wise to listen to them and not your heart?

He sounds a powerful dog and you have already said he is wilful. Sounds like he needs lots of training and that can be a big commitment in itself if you already have a dog and a family.

Good luck with your decision whatever it may be!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >