Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:03 AM

Struggling now... mobility worsening.

I don't really know why I'm writing this... but I am.

Years ago, when I was about 13 I had to stop all my dancing (which was my main activity at the time) due to poor mobility. I had severe pain in my knee and ankle joints in my right leg and it was found that due to my vascular malformation, my poor, confused body was creating more blood vessels but they were around my knee and ankle joints. They were rupturing during impact exercise and bleeding into my joints.

The surgeon's sealed off the vessels which promptly dried up and no more bleeding. After a few of these sessions, my joints were much better. Since then, my ankle's got worse again but it's not too bad as it was my knee that was the main problem.

However, over the past few months, my knee has gradually got worse and worse. I am now struggling to get the dogs out because walking down hills is agony, I can't take stairs normally as there is no strength in my knee, so if I bend it too far, it just goes all the way instead of me being able to control it.

I am driving to work, which is only 10 minutes walk away for most people, and hate the idea of creating so much pollution not to mention the cost of petrol!

I'm also struggling to carry out my basic tasks at work, which, when I started only 3 months ago, were no problem at all.

When I get up from resting, it's stiff and I either have to limp with a bending knee until it loosens up or straighten it out whilst making some very odd faces!

I'm now having to list my leg into the car and into bed because there's just not enough strength in my leg to do it without my own help and it hurts A LOT if I try.

But this morning I woke up and couldn't move my knee, it was agony... the problem used to be on impact, but its now any time.

I have been trying to get a mobility scooter but I simply can't afford one - the prices they go at. I can't even afford a second hand one.

I've phoned my consultant and written to him as I have an open appointment with him, but I've received no correspondence in return.

I'm determined that these lastest problems won't stop my dreams. At the very worst, I'll have to learn to train dogs from a wheelchair!

I just needed to vent I think... I lead such an active, independent lifestyle that its going to be very difficult for me to lose my mobility but it was always on the cards and I'll just have to cope.

Sorry it's so miserable
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh Lottie! Can nothing be done? Can't they sort your knee out in some way, or is there really no hope?
Big hugs chicken - I really feel for you xoxox
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Ooh, Lottie, sorry to hear this.

I love your determined attitude,though and really hope that things will come right for you
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Lottie

It sounds like you need to write again to your consultant or phone his secretary to get some action. only when you have seen him/her will you be able to plan for the future.When you know what level of disability you are dealing with then you can find out what support there is for you in the system. There might be benefits/help available that would enable to stay as active as possible.

I`m sending you huge hugs as you sound like you need them at the moment.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh Lottie, I'm so sorry to hear this, it must be incredibly tough on you.

If you are getting nowwhere with your consultant can you ask your GP to contact him / her on your behalf, it may speed things up.

Would a heat pad help your knee? xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:18 AM
The condition that causes it is rare and seriously under researched and every case is different so nobody really has a clue what we're dealing with.

I know of people with the same condition who have no joint problems, and then people who have had to have limbs amputated.

There is nothing to fix the condition but I will have to see what they can do for my knee. To be honest, it feels nothing like the last time and I'm not sure it's the bleeding.

I'm going to try getting hold of him again today, thanks guys.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Oh Lottie, I'm so sorry to hear this, it must be incredibly tough on you.

If you are getting nowwhere with your consultant can you ask your GP to contact him / her on your behalf, it may speed things up.

Would a heat pad help your knee? xx
I'm not sure it would, but I have one for my IBS so may give it a go - thanks for the idea!

I'll try the consultant again today and if I have no luck I shall contact one of the GPs I went to see recently, as, although he's not my named GP he has a bit of a soft spot
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh Lottie , that sounds extremley painfull hun , but i do admire your determination and spirit hun , big hugs ,and i do hope you get things sorted soon xxdk
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I hope it works for you, it may help with the stiffness a little so you are able to get up more easily. Fingers crossed. xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Oh Lottie , that sounds extremley painfull hun , but i do admire your determination and spirit hun , big hugs ,and i do hope you get things sorted soon xxdk
Me too..........lots of Hugs xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »