Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 10:50 AM

How much exercise?

How much exercise do you give your dog daily?
Just wanted to figure out what was the 'norm' and what i should be expecting of potential re-homers...
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 10:58 AM
i think everyone is different on this.
I will try and give indie an hr walk a day offlead over the common, yet some days she will get a 20 minute walk round the block.

i spose it would depend on the breed as well, cos i should imagine if u were rehoming a collie it would need alot of exercise
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
mine are lazy they like as little as possible ...i do try and get them out everyday ....but sometimes they hide when the leads come out .....

one of mine is a great walker when she is in the mood LOL .....
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Depends what you mean as exercise.
Also depends on type of dog.

Walking: my adult does 1/2 hour on lead
Running: 1- 1 1/2 hours a day off lead

But if i add up all the things i do with my dogs like swimming, springpull, flirt pole, tug , fetch etc. It would work out around 4/5 hours each day.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
3 of mine are running round the garden with a ragger ..lots of noise going on ..now if i were to want to take them out in an hr or so they would be too tied to go ....the other one is sitting happily in bed as if to say (what kids the rest are) LOL
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:18 AM
My two get usually about 2 hours walking each day during the week, when the nights get lighter I start to do some biking with Cassy and a bit more walking later on they also do a lot of charging around outside which probably amounts to a few hours as well.

At the weekends we do a lot more walking (often more than 4 hours) and free running, I have a springpole set up too and they play with this quite a bit which is a good exercise too.....and like Russ they also get some other activties which take up time too.

The main exercise though is just walking, I love walking before I had the dogs I did quite a bit of walking so I just carried it on I find it clears my head and is obviously good for the dogs...if for some reason they dont get as much as they usually do I really notice it in them. I am lucky to live in an area where there is plenty of countryside, the summer is better for me as I work during the day (the o/h walks the dogs during the day but his idea of a walk and mine differ slightly lol) so I love the light mornings & nights when I can do much more.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
mine are lazy they like as little as possible ...i do try and get them out everyday ....but sometimes they hide when the leads come out .....

one of mine is a great walker when she is in the mood LOL .....
omg lucky you inca!!!i take mine out once a day and they have a 30 min run around on the park..they also get alot of exercise in the garden as well, which is their own personal bombsite!!
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:24 AM
when max isnt held together by cotton he gets a 50 minute off lead run round the farmers fields in the morning and he gets about half hour at the most on lead road walk in the evening
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:38 AM
whoa, there is alot of variety!

i didnt even think of the smaller dogs getting tired real easy... i love them they are so cute, but i need a dog that will keep up with me, and never ever tire out!

its funny, i have a collie friend who walks her dog two hours spread out during the day...but the collie is still destroying the house... i guess there is a big difference in 'walking' and having fun/expending energy!? What i mean is you can 'walk' and the dog can still be bored, and have loads of energy left to destroy the house. I have tried to tell her to be more 'exciting', to carry a ball or something, but its just the way she is.... poor dog.
I take my dogs out alot, whenever i can, and its silly for me to expect a new owner for poppy to do the same. i guess maybe 1.5 hours a day is the norm? its not really walking time i should be looking for, it should really be how much stimulation they can give her.

I dont know where i got my thinking from (certianly not parents!) but before i go anywhere, i have to make sure my dogs are tired out, so they will sleep. This is sometimes bothersome, as they are always on my mind, and i have to work everything round them...even going to see a movie.... but then it was my choice to have a dog in the first place. One thing is for sure, dogs are very adaptable, and if they aint getting enough, they will find a way to amuse themselves!!!
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 11:39 AM
I am about to take my 2 out now for about an hour. They've been a bit neglected lately as Mark has been in charge of their exercising and like Laura's O/H his idea of dog walking slightly differs from mine... you can really tell the difference if they've not had enough, Bosun becomes what we call "the Bosunator" charging about challenging everyone to a wrestle or game of chase

they also get alot of exercise just playing in the garden
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »