Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Not Himself - Fireworks?

Max really doesn't seem himself today

I came downstairs this morning and instead of doing his "I haven't seen you in forever!" routine, he just sat at the gate, looking up at me and wagging his tail half heartedly. At first I thought he may have destroyed something by the way he was acting but everything was as it should be.

I had to literally put him out in the garden myself this morning for a wee, and had to stand there while he went because he kept following me back inside.

Then I got his ball for our usually morning play time, and he didn't really seem interested (he lives for his ball!)

He doesn't seem interested in any of the biscuits I have offered him today, he ate one half heartedly but that was it.

Just taken him out for his walk and again he seemed very quiet, he had a little run around, but otherwise he was just trotting alongside me which just isn't like him.

We had a group of lads out the side of our house last night letting off fireworks, and Max was terrified! He was cowering in a corner the whole time. Last year the fireworks didn't seem to bother him, but then he was a pup last year and into everything.

I am wondering if it is possible that the fireworks have upset him and this is why he is acting strange? Is this possible?
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Your not alone, my lot go mental when they hear fireworks.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Had the same thing with Cassie. She tolerated them for about 5 years, then started going very weird whenever they were about. Just like yours, wouldn't go out in the garden the next morning, let alone the evening of having them. It took days for her to calm down and act normally again, and then they'd start all over again I hate to say it, but she got worse over the years too, ending up a complete physical shaking wreck whenever we had them around, always trying to hide underneath something, or on my head in bed! I used the DAP diffuser to no avail, the loud music, everything. I noticed in my vets the other day, DAP do a new spray which is instant, so I wonder if that's any good?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Could well be, fudge was frightened by fireworks on Fri. Night. She was very jumpy all day yeaterday still, and last night she kicked off at 1.30 a.m absolutely terrified about something. My suspiscion is she heard a bang.Took ages to calm her and get her to sleep.

I have bought some valerian compound on some Dogsey members advice (and my pet shops) we will be trying that.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I did wonder if it could be the fireworks. He was absolutely fine yesterday until the fireworks went off - idiot lads were letting them off on the road of all places aside from everything else I had one in my garden this morning!

I am going to get some Skullcap and Valerian, and a DAP from work tomorrow and see if this helps him through at all. The poor man I hate to see him so down

If he's still the same after a couple of days I will take him in with me anyway, as his not eating is worrying me.
bubblep1nk
New Member!
Female 

14-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I thought i was the only one with a dog who was scared of his own shadow this time of year with the fireworks. max gets so bad with the noises he usually have to get him a sedation tablet from my vets, some might not agree with it but he shakes, his tail is tucked so far under his bum it looks like he hasnt got one, he pants to the point i think he is going to have a heart attack, he cowers under the table, it breaks my heart to see his like that, so we get his a tablet just to calm him down a bit, even though we have the t.v on full blast and the radio on in the dining room and kitchen and have all the blinds and curtains closed,he still manages to hear the smallest sound haha. Molly ( the cat) on the other hand...she sits on the window sill and watches them!! i just wish they would only last for one night but these days they go on for weeks and weeks some times.
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Bailey was terrified last year at firework time. Rescue remedy seemed to help. Have just seen fireworks for sale in Morrisons so am starting the rescue remedy now cos I expect by next weekend it will feel like we are living in a war zone. I just wish they could be banned, at least for public sale. At least organised displays are only for 1 night. If they have this effect on our pets how much worse is it for wildlife.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I agree with you...they do so much damage to so many people and animals I think they should be reserved only for public displays.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by bubblep1nk View Post
I thought i was the only one with a dog who was scared of his own shadow this time of year with the fireworks. max gets so bad with the noises he usually have to get him a sedation tablet from my vets, some might not agree with it but he shakes, his tail is tucked so far under his bum it looks like he hasnt got one, he pants to the point i think he is going to have a heart attack, he cowers under the table, it breaks my heart to see his like that, so we get his a tablet just to calm him down a bit, even though we have the t.v on full blast and the radio on in the dining room and kitchen and have all the blinds and curtains closed,he still manages to hear the smallest sound haha. Molly ( the cat) on the other hand...she sits on the window sill and watches them!! i just wish they would only last for one night but these days they go on for weeks and weeks some times.
That's what worried me with mine,I honestly thought she would have a heart attack under such stress with her panting etc. We used to dread November, December, and of course January new year celebrations! Nightmare for us she was. My current dog is totally oblivious no matter how loud the bangs!

Try the new spray from DAP it's instant!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Poor lad, it sounds very much as if it is fireworks, bloomin' things

Good luck with helping him feel better soon.

Wys
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >