Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 02:41 AM

how do you start showing?

ive always been interested in showing dogs, i have no idea where id start though, what would i have to do?

does anyone have any good websites i can look into?

thanks

Knotty
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Probably not the best person to be giving advice as I haven't started showing yet myself....

However, the breeder I am getting my next puppy from will help me get started, in terms of learning how groom for the show ring and handle etc.

In the meantime, I am going to as many shows as possible to observe how others do it and try to pick up as much as I can from chatting to people ringside. This is also how I found the breeder of my pup as I completely fell in love with his type of dogs from seeing them in the ring
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi Knotty, to begin showing dogs, first of all you need a puppy that is Kennel Club registered, and as Shaynlola says, hopefully the pups breeder will be able to give alot of support and advice.

Once you have your puppy you need to find a ringcraft class and start training and practice. While the puppy is young you could use the time to attend as many shows as possible to observe the breed, watch the judging and see what the experienced exhibitors do.

When your puppy is six months old you can get started, but you need to plan in advance because you need to enter a show beforehand. The ringcraft class will probably have schedules for local shows, and if you start getting either Our Dogs or Dog World from your newsagent, there are adverts for bigger shows in there, and you can send off for more schedules.

Dawn R.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 08:15 AM
If you fancy showing do make sure you buy your pup from an active show breeder as there is no one better to help and mentor you through the whole process
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2007, 08:28 AM
You might want to find some ringcraft classes in you area.

The link to the club below is in Essex but don't know if it's near you but thats the sort of thing you'll be looking for. Some clubs requrie you to join others don't and you just pay for the classes.

If you do take it up and enter shows just remember you always take the best dog home with you.

Ringcraft classes
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2007, 08:37 AM
All good advice given, so cant add anything.

But beware!!!!!!!!!! It is addictive
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Always think this is quite useful.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/265
There is so much to learn but the trick is don't try to learn it all at once. Like others have said plan ahead and go and watch the breed in the ring, see what people are showing on, how they handle their dogs etc. Then find a good ringcraft, hopefully there will be someone there who knows about the breed, this isn't always the case though, so advice from your breeder who shows is ultimately the most useful source. There are then plenty of areas where you can find shows. Ringcraft classes, dog papers, websites etc. Most shows will close 1-2 months in advance of the show though so you have to think ahead. Good luck and enjoy
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Ringcraft is great, can't really add to the advice already given. Some great tips there!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 10:41 AM
ooo
excellent! im so excited! thanks for the website im going to read them now!!

Knotty
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:25 AM
i have one piece of advice dont beat your breeder in the ring megan57collies will know what am talking about (haha)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >