Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Starfish

I Loved this

Starfish

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up. As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean. He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?" The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean." "I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man. To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die." Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!" At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."

The man left the boy and went home, deep in thought of what the boy had said. He soon returned to the beach and spent the rest of the day helping the boy throw starfish in to the sea....

~Loren Eiseley
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:31 PM
It does make you stop and think, we can all make a difference in our own way
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I read that story on a rescue site and I think it's lovely It has a great message too.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:40 PM
That's a great message to everyone Amie We can all make a difference in life, no matter how small it is
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:22 AM
That's lovely
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Loved that one - and so true too. I guess it is very easy at times to say to yourself you cannot make a difference being just one person, but together we are an army.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 02:37 PM
"Strength in numbers" and "every little counts" are sayings we hear so often. When we stop and think they are both so very true.