Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bobbles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2007, 08:55 AM

Unstable Staff

Hi everyone I've asked for some advice on here before about my Staff, she has a few odd behaviours eg humping my leg, jumping up etc, I just wondered what you'r views were on this comment i recieved today, this lady basically told me my Staff was a timebomb, I read with interest on the thread about greeting other dogs and it got on to the topic of snapping, anyway she snaps at me occassionally mainly when she's having a mad few minutes she'll run around like a mad thing ears back wild eyes and she'll snap this doesn't happen often and when she does it I tell her a firm NO and ignore her until she's calmed down, she's excellant with other dogs and people, this lady made her sit to give her a treat and i said to the lady I tell her nicely before giving her any treats but the lady used another word she was unfamilliar with and she snapped the food out of the ladies hand she's never shown any signs of any food aggression, but the lady commented on how hard her bite was and she shouldn't of snapped the food out of her hand and made a comment that she obviously has never learnt not to bite so hard , she was a very snappy puppy and we had advice from a behaviourist at the time and she thought she was fine and we were doing everything correctly, sorry this is so long I just wondered what you all thought
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi Bobbles

My honest view is that it's difficult to give advice or even an opinion over the internet for this kind of thing. With some things, people can say what their views are and it may not matter, but with your dog I'd take her to a reputable professional behaviourist and get some good advice you can trust and act on (eg training etc) .

It may be that your dog is absolutely fine and just needs training. I remember you said a few things before which made me a bit concerned but only in that some of what you mentioned might have tallied a bit with something medical (ie the trances).

I see you're in Bucks! Try this trainer:

http://www.acorndogtraining.co.uk/ as she has excellent veterinary contacts and is extremely knowledgeable and experienced herself

I'm sure she'd put your mind at rest.

Wys
x
bobbles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi Wysiwyg poped into vets today and luckily for me and Bobbles they had a behaviourist in to give advice on dogs with problems anyway she wasn't very busy so we had a chat, we filled in a long form about when Bobbles was born how many in litter how she was with the other litter mates etc, two things stood out 1, Bobbles was the second to be born and was the biggest and she always wanted her mums attention rather than play with her litter mates she would push them out of the way to get fed first, the second thing was she was the breeders and her families favorite so ended up with more cuddles and less time with her other litter mates at the time I thought all the human interaction was a good thing but now realize not, she basically told me Bobbles was too focused on me, but as she was quite happy to be left on her own, she obviously felt very secure and in no way stressed about her life , she also said Bobbles was too treat focused as well, always looking at me for treats and comfort, she felt Bobbles was noway a dominant dog and if anything the complete opposite ,she said all of this may have progressed from her early weeks of life, she thinks she's not snapping at me she thinks it's more of an over excited lick, she's going to come to the house next week, she's really made me happy as she said it's not very often she see's such a wellbehaved dog, I was very pleased
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by bobbles View Post
...she felt Bobbles was noway a dominant dog and if anything the complete opposite ,she said all of this may have progressed from her early weeks of life, she thinks she's not snapping at me she thinks it's more of an over excited lick, she's going to come to the house next week, she's really made me happy as she said it's not very often she see's such a wellbehaved dog, I was very pleased
That's such great news, I'm so pleased to hear it Bobbles!

It just shows how careful we have to be with our dogs and who gives advice or comments on them - you had one lady telling you your dog was a timebomb and another who has reassured you. It's really good she's going to go to your house next week, I reckon you've now got the help and reassurance you need for your lovely doglet :smt023

Keep us updated :smt001

Wys
x