Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Lump on Roxys neck

Hey guys, as you know Roxy was spayed 2 weeks ago. About 5 days ago I noticed a small lump on her neck, I assumed it was a gathering of tissue like some others she had on her neck as a puppy. Anyway it grew bigger and bigger and now is about the size of my hand and ranges from her chest right the way round her neck.

I took her to the vets who at first told me to 'leave it for a week and see what happens' I told him where to go, and then he said it was either a tumour or more likely a lymph gland infection. He has given me anti-biotics for a week. but im not convinced.

A friend has told me that it has grown to fast to be cancer, is this true? He reckons it is more like and allergy to a tick bite or flea powder. What are your thoughts?
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:24 PM
In my human experience cancerous lumps are fairly slow growing. Sounds more likely to me a lymph node infection/allergic reaction to something. I would get a second opinion from another vet.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I think your vets explanation is more likely to be correct to be honest, but if your worried why not give the vet and call and discuss your fears?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Loki had a small lump on his throat that grew to the size of an egg overnight. The vet lanced it (lots of goo came out) and gave us antibiotics; we bathed it every day with hot salt water and tcp and it went. It appears it was an infection, possibly from a wound that might have occured out on a walk. Could Roxy's be similar?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 11:55 PM
could be an internal clot where they administered the anaestetic or did she have an ab injection, is it on the back of her kneck. Mine had when when he broke his toe.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 05:16 AM
I presume your vet checked her tempreture. I wouldn't hav thought it was a tumour growing that fast, it sounds more like an infection at the sight of an injection given when she was spayed. Or an allergic reaction from something she was given.
Does she seem ok in herself? If it increases any further take her straight back but hopefully it will soon start to subside.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Sounds like an infection to me. See what effect the AB's have on it. If you are disatisfied, go back to the vet, or get a second opinion. Good luck honey, and big hug for Roxy xox
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 08:26 AM
She is fine in herself, and it doesn't hurt if I touch it.

I took this last night to get a better shot, I'm pretty sure its just a reaction to the needle, will give it few more days until I go back to vets!

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Dobermanns are common sufferers of injection site reaction. My Dobe had a HUGE lump between his shoulder baldes and it grew massive within 3 days. It took 5 weeks to go altogether, Id be tempted to leave her alone unless it bursts or causes her pain.
Dawn.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dobermanns are common sufferers of injection site reaction. My Dobe had a HUGE lump between his shoulder baldes and it grew massive within 3 days. It took 5 weeks to go altogether, Id be tempted to leave her alone unless it bursts or causes her pain.
Dawn.

Every time Suki has had an injection the area around it has swollen up and gone into a hard lump - usually disappers after a week.

Big hugs to Roxy though and hope she heals following her op - if she's anything like Suki she'll be lavishing all the extra tlc!