Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Help! - Blackie has eaten a latex glove

Hi,

Just been out with Blackie and he has picked up a latex glove and eaten half of it before I could get to him, what should I do/watch for, he is eating ok and drinking ok.

your advice would be appreciated.

Ian
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi Ian, there isn't a lot you can do, hopefully it should pass through the intestine and you can keep watch for that. If he will eat it I would give his some porridge with a little cooking oil in,olive/ sunflower/corn oil which you may have in the house.

If Blackie stops eating/pooing starts to bring back his food you must suspect a blockage and he will need to see the vet urgently, 9 times out of 10 these things pass through ok.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2007, 03:20 PM
When my Kali was only a few weeks old, he stole a large chicken bone and swallowed it. I phoned the vet for advice and was told to keep an eye on him (for about a day) and that it ought to come through naturally. I was warned that he might need help passing it, though (i.e I should be prepared to get up close and personal, and pull! )

Snorri
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

19-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Ian I know its scary when they do something like this but as Minnie says let nature take its course and watch him carefully and if he starts bringing food back up get him to the vet quickly, but hopefully it will not come to that . Fingers toes and everything crossed for Blackie.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Fudge had an intestinal blockage last month. the first signs were vomiting, but it was a clear frothy slime. She then became very lethargic and went downhill pretty quickly. it eventually passed naturally but she was on anti- vomit injections and a clear solution to replace lost salts and sugars. the vet examined her abdomen to feel for a blockage. they could not feel one but it was a large pink hair bobble in the end. i would watch closely for anything coming out either ends. If she starts vomiting then i would take her to the vets.

Hope all is well.

Rachel
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello Ian

I'm sure that there won't be any problems, Blackie is not a small dog so hopefully it will pass through easily. As Mini has said though, any sign of trouble, call your vet.

One of our great danes was always stealing socks and swallowing them & they always came through ok. Apart from one time when my dad was walking him and he passed some but not all of the sock. Anyway my dad had to wrap a big dock leaf around his hand and .... well you can imagine the rest. :smt078 He was worried afterwards that someone would report him thinking he was some sort of pervert!!
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Hello Ian

Apart from one time when my dad was walking him and he passed some but not all of the sock. Anyway my dad had to wrap a big dock leaf around his hand and .... well you can imagine the rest. :smt078 He was worried afterwards that someone would report him thinking he was some sort of pervert!!

I had to do a similiar thing with one of the other BC's we had, he must have eaten a long stalk of grass, it came out the other end all in one piece, about 2 foot long and of course I had to help it on it's way. When I pulled it out he looked at the grass then me and give me a disgusting look, as though it was fault.

He has been into the garden and done a small poo, he seems himself. I thought the latex might disintergrate inside him.

Ian
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Ahhh - the horrors of long grass - I've had to do that a couple of times with Max, thankfully in the privacy of our garden though and not out on a walk!

If Blackie seems himself and has manged to poo I would have thought that's a very positive sign that it will pass through, or it may disintergrate as you say.