Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Anti-bark device working well

A couple of weeks back i bought an indoor anti- bark device. It runs off batteries and sits on the shelf in the hall looking like a strange air freshener. The theory is that when Fudge barks it sends out a high pitched noise which she should eventually associate with barking and thus stop.

I have been using it for just over a week and things are a lot calmer here. She still barks , but gives a few barks then stops. We no longer seem to have the mad dash up against the window and the furious prolonged barking that accompanied it. people walking past just seem to get a single bark which is great.

It is early days but fingers crossed it appears to be working.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Good it's working so far. Just a cautious word...try to be careful that she doesn't become nervous about it and start to associate the people walking past the window with something unpleasant (ie the high pitched sound). Devices like this can sometimes create more problems than they solve. Just something to watch for.
Ax
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 12:56 PM
sounds good perhaps post the type and info you have so we can find out more
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:05 PM
can we have a link or a picture please
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:17 PM
It is the pet safe anti bark unit I bought but not from this company. I was badly let down by where I purchased it from so have not linked to them.

http://www.britishdog.net/sonicantibark.htm

It is called the area bark unit on this site.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Oh dear...
I hope no one thought i was being critical, I really wasn't, I was just trying to say, be careful.
My issue with devices like this is that you don't know what the dog will associate the noise with, will the dog associate the noise with it barking or with someone walking past the house. You also don't know how uncomfortable the sound is for the dog.
I'm sure these devices can work really well and with no problems and hopefully that's the case with Fudge, i just wanted to say keep an eye that's all, which I'm sure you are doing anyway!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Ramble, no worries,I took your point and am watching her closely. i am glad you mentioned it as I have noticed that if i shout to one of the kids it also triggers the noise. I can see it in her reaction. we are all being trained now to go to the person we need to speak too rather than shout!!!Maybe it should be sold in parent and child departments too!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Phew!! Glad I didn't cause offence...thing is if your shouting round the house triggers it, could a loud car engine????
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 02:17 PM
That's why I stopped using a spray collar on one of my dogs years ago. It was being triggered no matter who barked and the poor dog wearing it had no clue what was going on so I stopped using it.
Becky
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 02:54 PM
No, it only has a short range and I was standing next to it at the time.We have no other dog so no other barking to set it off. it is positioned near the door so that she does not go mental when the door bell rings. It was getting really dangerous for her as she was flinging herself against a single glazed window.

As an example of how things have changed:

the parcel man came today. Fudge barked about 4 times then was still at the door all waggy and licky. the man commented on how she was barking less and they had a great cuddle together. I feel she is safer and obviously not that bothered by the noise as she still wants to greet the people at the door. She is not cowering in a corner after she barks.I am happy at the moment with how it is all working.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >