Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 10:10 AM

Phantom Pregnancy help please!

Hello, My dog Roxy was spayed 4 days ago she is 1yr and 2 months. I brought her a new toy wen I got home that evening and she is being really weird with it, She keeps trying to bury it under things and carries it about in her mouth all the time. If you take it off her she crys and pines until you give it back. She will only settle if she has buried the toy near me, or if I have it and show her it is buried somewhere near me, She goes crazy if my OH takes it.

Anyway I'm assuming this is a phantom, theres lots of 'nests' made out of pillows and blankets all round the house. But my question is, do I take the toy away until she is past this, or give it to her and let it run its course??
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 10:20 AM
It might be a reaction to pain rather than a phantom. Some sort of displacement activity. Were you given any pain killers for her?
Becky
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 10:25 AM
No we wern't. She has never acted this way with a toy before though? its usually ripped to shreds in seconds?!?
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I though phantoms only happened to unspayed bitchs

It does sound like it though,
I'm no help, sorry
matilda
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Hello
It does sound like a false pregnancy.
How long after her season was it when your girl was spayed, as I know that sometimes spaying can bring on a false pregnancy if done sooner than 3 months after the end of a season.
This is because the spaying op causes a sudden drop in (progesterone) hormones similar to that which occurs during a false pregnancy.
Presume you'll be going back to the vet soon for a post-op check so I would ask his/her advice. My girl had 3 horrible false pregnancies so I do sympathise. The usual advice is to take away any toys and jolly them out of it - but nothing worked for us ... although there were other factors involved (a kind of cyst on one ovary) so maybe that's why.
Good luck - hope it resolves soon!

I looked for a link for you but only found this one - it's not exactly the clearest but does say that spaying can cause a false pregnancy (but in rather longer words!):
Iatrogenic pseudogenetra can be caused by ovariohysterectomy in diestrus. This results in a similar progesterone decline as seen in the naturally occurring condition.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus..._pregnancy.htm
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
hi it does sound like a phantom bless her and yes i would take away the toy and let her get over it other wise she will keep thinking it is baby and carry on, it will be hard as she will cry for a while but it is better for her to do it now while still early.

sorry hun hope it gets better soon.