Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:14 PM

First Agility Lesson - Gordon Setter

Max and I had our first agility lesson last night!

There were five of us in the beginners - varying breeds(Gordon Setter, Labrador Retriever, Border Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier and X-breed).

We started off by just jumping over one jump with our dogs on lead and going over the middle of the jump and calling them over. (The jumps were all at the lowest height for now just to build up all the dogs confidence).

The Yorkshire Terrier was a bit apprehensive but if I was a Yorkshire Terrier then so would I be looking at the size of that jump from her point of view - boy oh boy!

After a couple of times of that the dogs were very keen so next stage to do a couple of jumps with the dogs on our left and us going round the wings - that took some co-ordination I can tell you and I'm thankful I have a large dog .

Then it was time to do 4 jumps like this and then turning back with the dogs on our other side (another bit of co-ordination and trying to get the dogs used to both sides - as well as us humans!)

Well the woman was so impressed with us all that she said I think you should try off lead which normally wouldn't happen until 2nd or 3rd week - everyone got a bit panicky but the dogs were great - and it is much easier without holding the lead

I was relieved when Max didn't think right done that so must be time for a run and sniff - as I think everyone else was too - but all of the dogs didn't do a bunk and stayed by their side or if did wander slightly then recalled quickly!

Then the A-Frame (again this was at a lower height -thankfully and they all took this in their stride. Max was a bit keen getting off the other end so I had to steady him - so he hit the touch points. But they were all stars - and the little yorkie was super too!

Back to some more jumps off lead then we did the tyre too - the woman was so amazed by how well all of the dogs were doing - this again was at the lowest height, again for building confidence and introduction of the equipment. All through no problem. Must admit I too was starting to get impressed with Max

Max was getting quite excited though especially watching the other dogs in the other classes bombing round and started to 'chat' so had to try and shush him! Gobby Gordons

Well to finish off it was decided to do a row of 4 jumps followed by the tyre.

Max jumped one and two with great excitement - then jumped on me and then bark bark bark - jump at mum - bark bark bark - got him back under to control to finish the remaining two jumps and the tyre - but a bit flushed and embarrassed - I turned to say I think he got a bit excited and the woman said with a smile - "typical Setter!" to which I have to agree

Max loved it and so did I but had forgotten how much running whilst giving commands you have to do and how hard it is concentrating on your dog and trying to get the next command in - goodness knows how I'll cope when we start doing larger courses thankfully I'm sure that's a few weeks/months away.

Apparently next week we are tackling the dog walk!

Going to try and get my jumps out but don't have any clips for the poles to get a bit of practice and a bit of control (I can hope can't I) before next week. Maybe can tape them on?

The other people and the club committee all seemed very friendly as well.

I am so glad that I took the plunge as I think Max and I will really enjoy our lessons together and have lots of fun!

Just need to figure out how I am going to do ringcraft with Angus in preparation for Crufts! But that's another story.

Thanks for reading!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Go Max!
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the world of the addicted heh heh heh
Great fun innit ) )
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Well done, sounds as if Max was a very clever lad, albeit a bit gobby! Look forward to hearing all about your progress. XX
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks all - yes it is great fun - having last done this 10 years ago forgot how much!

Oh and Scorpio - Gordons are very gobby!!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Sounds like you both had a great time - looking forward to hearing about your exploits