View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Glimmering Winter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Are these the symptoms of Luxating Patella?

I have a 3 year old chihuahua. Since thursday she has experienced a lot of pain. She was just sitting down and all of a sudden started yelping... I looked her over and me holding her seemed to cause her more pain.. I felt and put a bit of pressure over her feet and joints and she didn't seem to respond so I thought it must be something else...

The yelping seems almost random... sometimes she'll move or I'll pick her up and she'll yelp and sometimes she'll be fine. My OH and I thought it was perhaps her neck that was sore but most of the time she'll move it and it'll be fine.

I took her to the vets this morning... temp was normal, belly feels normal... she's eating normally, no pain in the limbs, no dishacharge and going to the loo normally.

The only signs are that she is not lively, not moving unless she can avoid it and every so often she give a little yelp or whine and changes position.

The vet found that Daisy's knee caps are easily displaced from side-to-side but playing around with them didn't cause her any pain. Other than this found no abnormalities..

Daisy's not holding her legs in any pain but is walking abit stiffly on her back legs with tail constantly between them. So I am wondering if this is what is causing the problem or not... all I have looked up on LP suggests that it is a momentary pain in the leg which is recovered quickly... Daisy's pain has been ongoing over the last couple of days.

The vet has put heron antiimflamatories and we are going in again on Monday to see if there is anychange.. she has had one of the tablets so far but hasn't moved off of her bed since..

I would just like to know what you think?

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Glimmering Winter as is so often the case, the problem could have many causes so it is not really wise to speculate.

If it is an LP it will usually manifests itself in a dogs inability to straighten the back leg/s and the occasion lifting of a back leg and giving a little hop.The condition can vary from mild to serious.

I would wait to see how you get on with the anti inflammatories remember they can take a few days to really take effect. Also its a good idea to keep walks short and no jumping up or climbing stairs.

I do hope Daisy is better soon..
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi

I have a one year old Chihuahua and we were told the other week that he has luxating patella during a check up at the vets. The vet said that this is really common in smaller dogs and shouldnt really cause any further problems. He often stops when he is running around and holds his leg up for a few seconds and I think this is the only evidence of any dislocation. Fudge gets over it really quickly and he is still fine jumping and running etc.
When we are out on our walkies you can sometimes see his little back legs kicking out and apparently thats the LP also. Strange though that poor Daisy seems to be in pain all the time hope she is better soon. I know its really worrying when they are in pain you feel so helpless!