Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JR - Tilly
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2006, 09:44 AM

Strange Dog Bed Behaviour

Hi All

don't know if anybody can help, or if anybody has had any similar experiences but i have had my JRT for just over 3 months. She has settled in very well but she has just started behaving odd with her bed. When i go to bed at night she has always gone into her bed (it is one of those hard plastic beds with lots of fleecy blankets) and she has always liked it, she even used to lie in it when i was downstairs with her. anyway over the last week or so she has refused to get into it and will even choose to lye on the cold kitchen floor instead of her nice warm bed. it is almost as if she is scared of it for some reason but as far as i know nothing has happened to her in her bed.

Sorry i have rambled a bit but i am really confused by her behaviour.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 09:57 AM
JRT's are notoriously clever at finding ways of telling you they don't like something.

Firstly, check that bed thoroughly, it could be anything thats irritating her?
Is it near a radiator that is now on when it was off before?
Does her blanket need washing? as once Tonto had brought up some bile in his bed and he did the same thing to tell me.

Will she get in the basket if it is moved? or to have a biscuit. My dogs have a bedtime routine of having a bedime biscuit. They know when I say that to get in their beds and will eat their biscuit and settle for the night.

Or... have you changed or rearranged her blankets? I know a JRT who wakes his owners up in the middle of the night. Then he'll sit looking at his basket until they plump up his blankets!.... and no this isn't my JRT!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi JR tilly I would guess something may have scared your dog and she now associates whatever it is with her bed (could be a noise/someone cross with her).

It is best not to try to put her in the bed, or to make her go in, she needs to go in of her own accord.

Try standing some distance away and throwing bits of a favourite treat like tiny pieces of cheese into the bed then lots of praise when she goes to get them. also try putting her dinner in the (bed in its bowl) then leave her, again praise if she starts to eat it.
This will teach her bed =pleasant things
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Good Advice from above.
Know this sounds silly but have you changed your washing powder or changed the powder smell Some dogs are sensitve to the smell etc. My dog refused to get in her basket one time. The only thing I had done was use a different washing powder. Put some different blankets in which had been washed in the original washing powder and she started using it again