Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mpandey
New Member!
Female 

27-11-2006, 10:15 PM

New Puppy - SIMBA

Hi Everyone

i recently got a puppy (cocker spaniel, 2 months) and the breeder always kept him & his family outside. Wheeras i am keeping him indoors except for when we go somewhere when i leave him in the backyard. The problem is when we do leave him he gets very anxious and will keep crying i scatter treats for him but most of the times he doesn't care about them! What else can i do to keep him busy?

Initially he used to cry in the night as he would want to sleep next to us but now has overcome that and sleeps comfortably in his own bed so I'm pretty sure the backyard problem can be fixed too! Also after one & a half months or so we will be alone at home while we're working so i want to make sure he's entertained - what can i do? Please help.

Cheers
M2
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi mpandey and Simba !

I'm having a similar problem with my new dog - whines and barks when left. It's getting much better (ie. doesn't last very long, a minute or two maybe) but when I give him a stuffed Kong to chew when I go, he doesn't mind/notice I'm leaving and so he's quiet and calm. Have you tried something similar ? He gets part of his daily food allowance in it and has one at night and if I go out during the day.

Oh, and welcome to Dogsey and do post some photos of Simba, I bet he's just too cute
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi and a very warm welcome to Dogsey

Lovely name Simba.

Regarding toys and treats to entertain your little boy, stuffed kongs are brilliant. I have a swingball in my garden which Harvey adores and plays with each and every time he goes out there.

Good luck with your new puppy x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 10:05 AM
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by mpandey View Post
Hi Everyone

i recently got a puppy (cocker spaniel, 2 months) and the breeder always kept him & his family outside. Wheeras i am keeping him indoors except for when we go somewhere when i leave him in the backyard. The problem is when we do leave him he gets very anxious and will keep crying i scatter treats for him but most of the times he doesn't care about them! What else can i do to keep him busy?

Initially he used to cry in the night as he would want to sleep next to us but now has overcome that and sleeps comfortably in his own bed so I'm pretty sure the backyard problem can be fixed too! Also after one & a half months or so we will be alone at home while we're working so i want to make sure he's entertained - what can i do? Please help.

Cheers
M2
Hi mpandey and welcome to Dogsey
It is normal for puppies to cry when separated from their family and puppies/dogs often cry when left in an attempt to summon their family to them .

Some dogs cope better with being alone than others,is there some reason why you shut the puppy out when he is alone? This could be adding to the problem because it may be taking away the little security he has managed to build so far .

Is the garden secure? Could you put in a dog door so that he has access to his usual bed in the house (this should be comfortable and it will help to leave an item of clothing that has your scent, an old Teeshirt maybe) .

Also as the others suggested a kong toy filled with safe food can help to keep him occupied.