Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Antibark collars advice please

Hiya everyone...

Just hoping to get some opinions. I have a 2 yr old cavalier king charles spaniel who just loves to yap at just about anything... cars going by, a bang form a car dor, bin men, knock at the door, post coming through the door... get the idea LOL. very excitable little dog.

We tried the quiet or speak command for a few months but he really never quite got it! he doesnt bark when left alone unless the post comes or someone knocks... but its still annoying to us as he can sometimes wake the baby up if he yaps at a car pulling up outside.

I heard and seen antibark collars, and as he is barking through excitment would they be of any use? I was told the spray type ones are better than the sonic ones?

anyone else with yappy cavaliers?

Kellie
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by kelz View Post
Hiya everyone...

Just hoping to get some opinions. I have a 2 yr old cavalier king charles spaniel who just loves to yap at just about anything... cars going by, a bang form a car dor, bin men, knock at the door, post coming through the door... get the idea LOL. very excitable little dog.

We tried the quiet or speak command for a few months but he really never quite got it! he doesnt bark when left alone unless the post comes or someone knocks... but its still annoying to us as he can sometimes wake the baby up if he yaps at a car pulling up outside.

I heard and seen antibark collars, and as he is barking through excitment would they be of any use? I was told the spray type ones are better than the sonic ones?

anyone else with yappy cavaliers?

Kellie
No real experience with anti bark collars, but Inca (also owns Cavs) had a good thread about sound aversion when her dogs wouldn't stop barking. Thought it might help.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...sound+aversion
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Thats brilliant, thank you!! will go read that straight away..
I had one of them CDs that play noises all the time , haha, needless to say, didnt phase him one bit and he still barked even after playing it lots of times.. may try it again though.
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2006, 07:04 PM
OK , the bottle shaking method.. no point mentioning that LOL.
I did that and Harvey just jumped around and got excited whenever I did it even though I said a stern NO BARKING every time.

He yapped at it like a toy haha.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 05:47 AM
I see you're in Hull and there are a couple of good trainers around that area. If you go to www.apdt.co.uk you should find some of them

All it will cost is ahome visit and they will assess your boy and explain the best way to help him be quiet. I doubt if they will recommend a quick fix, but they will show you how to train him hopefully
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Thank you very much!
I got a collar from ebay and am going to also use that as an aid to retry the speak and quiet commands and reward.
he is just such a daft dog bles him, he never picks up on much very fast at all!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi Kelz
Now I am in no way a qualified dog trainer in any way but just a thought. Do you tend to shout at him when he barks? Tell him NO and kind of get annoyed and irrated (understandably) if so you could be re-enforcing the reason that he is barking. Have you tried just ignoring him, even if you tried distracting him with a game this to him could mean barking = treat time. Maybe just ignoring him would send the message that there is no need to bark, you are not excited or anxious so there is no need for him to be.

I no this is very much easier said than done especially when you have a sleeping baby but if you were consistent it may pay off. Just an idea. I don't know anything about anti barking collars
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Some dogs ignore them, some get absolutely scared stiff and run away - some just get used to them over time. Sometimes they work.

I would only use something like that as a last resort, to be honest...
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 11:45 AM
My sister used the Antibark collar, (spray type) at the time I thought it was really cruel. But I have to admit it did work, after a while he didn't need it.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm not a fan of these collars at all, only because I have this hatred of relying on anything that could run out, get lost, chewed, etc, and leave me stranded. BUT, I'll be very very interested to hear how you get on with it. Hope you keep us updated
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >