View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 03:42 PM

Can you give glucosamine to younger dogs ?

I have been thinking about giving Glucosamine but I wondered if it is safe to do so at a young age, I used to do Body Building and took Glucosamine as a supplement because of the heavy wieghts I was lifting, as a preventative to injury keeping the bones strong...in my case not because of injury or athritis or any thing...just wondered for dogs ??
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 07:31 PM
i have a glucosamine supplement from the vets just for puppies its called synaquin growth and for use from 3months onwards.
It has 125mg of glucosamine and 100 mg of chondontrin to be given twice a day. Hope this helps.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi inkliveeva I would mention it to your vet next time you go to make sure there are no contraindications associated with giving it to puppies...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I would guess so as Royal Canin actually put it in their maxi babydog food, which is for pups from 3 weeks old.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks you guys I will defo ask at the vets the next time I'm there, I would'nt go ahead without advice, I had saw Glucosamine for pets at Tesco once this is why I was wondering, if it is that easily assesible then complications or side affects must be minimum...because the wee guy's are quite lanky I wondered if it would help slow the process of maybe athritis or hip problems.