View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2006, 12:18 PM

How to improve our recall and attention isolation?

Afternoon all,

At present i am very interested in starting agility but before i can enrole at some classes i need to improve on our Recall and attention isolation.

At the moment i choose not to let Dizney play with Dogs that are small, old or just not very lively. Simily because i know that he is big, strong and will hassle a dog should they show no interest.

His recall is about 85% positive but when another dog shows interest in him or they get close he plays the "i cant hear you" card.

How can I stop this or at least improve it?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Dalmonda View Post
At present i am very interested in starting agility but before i can enrole at some classes i need to improve on our Recall and attention isolation.

At the moment i choose not to let Dizney play with Dogs that are small, old or just not very lively. Simily because i know that he is big, strong and will hassle a dog should they show no interest.

His recall is about 85% positive but when another dog shows interest in him or they get close he plays the "i cant hear you" card.

How can I stop this or at least improve it?
Hi Delmonda getting attention is best achieved by constant training and practice, lots of short session so Dizney doesn't get bored.

First find out what is his best most favourite treat, maybe tiny pieces of cheese/sausage/ liver (boiled for 20 mins then cut ino tiny pieces and baked until crisp)

Start by teaching the basics 'watch me' /sit/sit and stay , do this at home many times a day until they are faultless first with treats and praise, then with just praise and the occasional treat. This will be teaching your dog always to give you his attention when you speak his name.

Here is an article by Shadowboxer explaining how to teach basic puppy things like 'watch me'/sit/stay, and also one on teaching the recall.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8049

Regarding agility, how old is Dizney,I think he needs to be fully grown before you start to protect his growing joints from strain . Best ask someone like Patch about that
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2006, 07:39 PM
oh he has just celebrated his second birthday My display Picture probably mis-lead you...sorry!

I would use the food option but he is also on a "diet" at the moment (full post in Diet section hehe) .

Sorry to be difficult!!! Your suggestions and advice are very much appreciated!!!

If he wasn't so head-strong i would be laughing!! lol

Thank you xx
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2006, 07:44 PM
I've been using milk biscuits that are only 5% fat for recall with porky little Lula. Otherwise you could take the treats out of his daily food allowance. I quite often make Lula work for some or all of her daily food.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi Dalmonda dried liver treats (above) or chicken are not fatty and should be taken out of the daily total food allowance as sammymax says