Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikki_and_Brodi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2006, 02:46 PM

Confused - career advice!!

hi all, i'm a relatively newbie here and looking for some advice. I keep meaning to ask my doggy trainer but he's always so busy at end of class

I'm at university at the moment in 3rd yr. I'm finishing this yr and going to do my teaching qualification and become a high school teacher. However i don't plan to do this forever, as ideally i would like my own stables and teach horse riding.

But i'm also wanting to do something with the dogs.. I love spending time with my boy - even though its been alot of hard work i feel like i'm getting somewhere. I don't know exactly what i want to do with dogs yet but i would like to think about it for the future. I saw an ad in Your Dog magazine for the ANimal Care College who do courses in Canine and Equine Psychology, Dog Training,Dog aggression - has anyone else done these courses?

thanks
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi, yes I have
My first one was the old "Think Dog" by John Fisher which was available from them. Some of the tutors are really good, but one I'd avoid because he is very old fashioned in his views and one tutor resigned in disgust when this other one joined

I'd probably recommend COAPE courses more but it does depend on what you want to do, and how far you want to go.

Many start off with basic courses such as those at ACC and then want to do more advanced ones. If you check out here:

http://www.apbc.org.uk/career.htm

http://www.apbc.org.uk/training_courses.htm (some of this info is a tiny bit out of date I've noticed)

http://www.apdt.co.uk/careers.asp

hth a bit, dog training is very rewarding but you won't make much money, paying the mortgage may be a problem Actual behavioural work is incredibly interesting but you may have to study harder as you can see from the links. I'm currently in the second year of a degree in canine behaviour and training and it will take me 5 years to complete in all. I'm loving it though, best thing I've ever done

Good luck to you!
Nikki_and_Brodi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2006, 07:10 PM
THanks for replying! Its not much as a career out of that, as it will be my secondary school teaching and horses that will be my main career - if that makes sense? But would like to do the doggy bit on the side!

Good luck to you! Sounds really interesting!! Just wish i had researched more before going to uni!!

thanks again