Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Pink patches

Just a quick one, why do some dogs develope pink patches on their black noses? When I was 13 our family dog sometimes had pig patches but her nose remained wet. It's always baffled me.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:05 PM
dogs that have pink patches carry a certain gene my two are pink nosed with black spots
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Even if they develop them and then they disappear? They kept coming and going some days she would have a completely black nose and others a patch around one nostril.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:11 PM
yes these patches are weird my sisters collies have them and then they dissapear cant explain why it happens but my boys have more pink noses than black just spots covering them and they look ever so funny with them
LolaDobie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:13 PM
My mother's beardie x had those on and off for ages, years ago. Hers got really nasty and infected at one stage tho. We were told it was caused by an auto-immune disease, and we gave her devil's claw drops in her food for a while. It seemed to help pretty well, but of course we can't be sure it wouldn't have cleared up just the same on its own. I think it helped myself, but who knows?
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Is it just a collie thing as we're should be getting two 9 month collie brothers soon, should I expect it with them?
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:16 PM
it depends if a collie has a merle down in the line then possibly you may get the pink patches coming through i will show you my boys noses and you can see if yours was like theres
i will post it on the picture section for you
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Well the guy that's advertising them says that one is blue merle and the other is just black and white. Don't know if both will have merle in the genes. Hey can dogs get pregnant by two different fathers with the same litter like cats can? I ask as they look completely different.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:24 PM
ooh im not sure the mum of mine was a merle and the dad a black and white and out of the litter was 4 blue merle and two tri colour
LolaDobie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2006, 08:26 PM
That makes sense with our case too. Mum has 2 sisters, rescued from a ditch years ago. We think they are border x beardie. The one with the pink patches looks like a beardie, and her sister looks like a border, and has merle patches.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >