Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Advice needed on helping someone else privately rehome

Hiya,

Well, yesterday I was walking Gadget & bumped into the most gorgeous little collie cross called Spike (looked like Lassie but same size as Gadg -aww :smt007 )

I got talking to the owner cos Gadget & Spike were playing for a while, and she told me how she's having to move in 2wks & cant take Spike with her.

I was like "what are you going to do?!" and she was just "I haven't got a clue... just been leaving it to the last minute..."

So obviously I got involved & swapped numbers & said I'd try to help. So far she's texted me some pics and a description, and I've put threads on here, dog pages, and the Sheffield Forum Pets Section. (she doesn't have internet access)

I've already had a couple of inquiries but from people a long way away, and realised that I actually feel a bit out of my depth now! How on Earth do I get these people checked out?! They are both newbies to dog pages with no previous posts.

I would just pass on the contact details so this woman can decide for herself who she wants to give Spike to, but bearing in mind she left it so late without doing anything in the first place, I feel like (how shall I phrase this tactfully...) she obviously doesn't have a clue about rehoming & what it involves, and I'm worried she wont know what to look out for. (Do you get what I mean?)

Bearing in mind I'm a complete stranger to her, (who just happened to be very nosey! ) I'm worried about coming over as too bossy or something & her just saying "er its OK everythings sorted, we dont need ur help anymore..."

If anyone has any advice it would be very welcome!
Thanks,
Katie
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I would pass on the numbers of some reputable rescues, who she could sign the dog over to, and they would rehome him.

Then if anything goes wrong, the new owners would have back-up, and hopefully not just pass on the dog/dump it.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Oh here's his thread on dogsey:
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...786#post715786

I would have him myself if we had a bigger house, bigger car, didn't work full time & OH wasn't allergic to longhaired dogs!
So not many reasons stopping me then!
Oh yeah & the biggest reason - Gadget is such a cuddle monster and spoilt 'only child' dog that I couldn't possibly 'cheat' on him with another dog!
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I would pass on the numbers of some reputable rescues, who she could sign the dog over to, and they would rehome him.

Then if anything goes wrong, the new owners would have back-up, and hopefully not just pass on the dog/dump it.
Yes good idea, I think I'll print off a list & give it to her.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Update: I've spoken to a lady from Thornberry Animal Sanctuary and even though they have a waiting list, she is going to 'put some feelers out' for this boy. She also offered to handle homechecks etc for us should we find someone.
I have had two good responses from the Sheffield Forum, one looks especially promising as she's a regular member on the Pets Forum, has two dogs already, and from previous questions and comments she's made in other threads she seems like a good owner
So fingers crossed!
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by KatieB_23
Update: I've spoken to a lady from Thornberry Animal Sanctuary and even though they have a waiting list, she is going to 'put some feelers out' for this boy. She also offered to handle homechecks etc for us should we find someone.
I have had two good responses from the Sheffield Forum, one looks especially promising as she's a regular member on the Pets Forum, has two dogs already, and from previous questions and comments she's made in other threads she seems like a good owner
So fingers crossed!
thats great news well done to Thornberry Animal Sanctuary for helping too
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Well done!
Lets hope he gets a new home soon!
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Another update:

I spoke to Spike's owner last night & gave her the details of everyone who had shown an interest.
One of the people was a single mum with a teenage daughter and 11yr old lab, which sounds great bearing in mind Spike is scared of men... plus she used to be an obedience dog trainer
She lives down in Herts which I had thought might be a prob but Spike's owner has a car and has arranged to drive down there this weekend so they can meet each other etc.
I've advised her of all the questions that would be asked in a homecheck, and advised both of them to draw up an agreement to sign & what it should include.

So fingers crossed it all goes well!