Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ashka
New Member!
Female 

28-07-2006, 12:29 AM

agressive to other dogs

i got my dog three years ago (rottyxbullmastiff/ridge)when she was only 4 weeks due to the fact that the owner was going to kill the whole litter.As she grew i noticed she was extremly over protective of us and unless introduced to other dogs by us(with exceptions to a few) she would attack them.She is a good dog in nature(lick you to death) and so far we don't know how to fix the problem she is very strong and it becomes a pain when walking her because she tries to go every dog in site and whines and barks (it's very embarrassing)& feel like i have run a marathon.I've tried introducing her to other dogs at the park and what not but she has a problem with any dogs that are smaller than her and that i don't introduce her too.She has one best friend a wolfhound cross but we have moved and they can no longer play.
any ideas?
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Im really sorry but i dont know what to advise you. Im sure someone knowledgable will be along shortly to help you out. In the meantime welcome to the site and i really hope you find a solution for her x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 11:42 AM
If this problem has been escalating over three years, I imagine it is now a learned behaviour - and you need to break the cycle. I would suggest the only way to do this is to speak to an experienced behaviourist, who will be able to assess your dog fully to find out why she is acting like this, and the best course of action to take. Speak to your vet to see if they can recommend someone. Also if you dog is insured, the behaviourist's fees may be covered under your policy.

Good luck.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Oh dear! What a worry!

Don't loose heart, though - my MIL had a rescue lurcher who was VERY protective of her, and would go for people (including children!) as well as dogs who came close to her. My MIL worked with trainers from the rescue-kennels ; it took about a year or so, and now he is the most delightful, easy-going pet, so gentle natured that he even lets her 3-year old grand-daughter curl up in his bed with him, and he is completely trustworthy off-lead. So it CAN be done - but as I say, you have to be determined, kind but firm, and you should seek professional help with this.

My advice would be to contact a professional trainer who does one-to-one sessions for problem-dogs (pref APDT registered). This way they will see the dog in its home environment, and out on walks, and be able to tell you exactly how to set about easing the problem. It might cost a bit of money, and take some time and effort on your part, but it will be well worth it.

Best of luck!