View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:13 AM

Takara snapped :( (at another dog she knows well - why?)

Today we walked down to the park and met with the people we normally walk with.

But when Takara wouldn't stay off the bowling green while they were mowing it, I called her back to put her lead on while we passed it. (Nothing new there)

But as I went to put her lead on, Taz a border collie (who Takara has the upmost respect for) was stood behind me and she lunged at him and really snapped. She didn't bite him but she barked and snapped and showed her teeth.

Taz was taken aback because they usually get on so well and I couldn't believe it. I firmly told her 'no'. Put her lead on and walked her straight home. So she's missed out on her walk (we had only just got there when this happened).

Was this the best way to treat the situation? I didn't want to shout at her or worse still hit her like some do because I didn't want her to think badly of Taz in future. But Taz had done nothing (as far as I knew) to warrant this behaviour. He always stands around waiting for treats from people.

Was making her miss out on her walk the best way to tell her this behaviour isn't acceptable? I don't know if she was being possessive because I'd showed her the ball that was in my bag as a reward for coming to me or if she thought she was protecting me but she does know Taz and she is usually really good with him. He doesn't get on with many dogs but he and Takara get on well.

Sorry it's so long but I can't believe my big softie just flew off the handle like that!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
oh also - she went straight into the kitchen when we got home and got shut in there. I told her to get on her bed and she gave me the puppy dog eyes but she's stayed in there with no attempt to get out.

I feel so mean but she can't get away with that can she?!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:37 AM
your big softie is a dog
I am sure she had a reason for snapping at the other dog -there could be any number of reasons and I wouldnt want to hazard a guess without observing.
Luckily dogs shrug off these things much easier than humans, and my guess is that both dogs had forgotten about it long before you will I am sure you apologised ot the other owner.

we all have 'off days', and so do dogs - try not to dwell on it too much, unless it becomes starts happening on a regular basis.

jmo

thandi
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:40 AM
No.. I would do the same.. Whether its usual for them or not they have to be made aware that kind of behaviour is not acceptable..

Could she have a sore bit somewhere?? that she was maybe scared of him hurting her?? If it's out of character for her then she might have a pain somewhere..

Since she has been punished.. just carry on as normal from now as you would usually.. Take her for her walks but be aware.. keep her on lead until she meets up with Taz and gauge the situation.. Keep balls etc hidden until she behaves the way you want her too..
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
oh also - she went straight into the kitchen when we got home and got shut in there. I told her to get on her bed and she gave me the puppy dog eyes but she's stayed in there with no attempt to get out.

I feel so mean but she can't get away with that can she?!
she probably had no idea why on earth she was being punished poor girl!

Why are you still punishing her? I dont ask that to be critical, but rather to ask you to think about your own
feelings and behaviour. please remember your dog is a dog, and will behave like a dog. no matter how much of a softie we think our animals are, they will behave sometimes in a way we would rather they didnt.

If you are dealing with a behaviour, it has to be dealt with 'there and then' and then forgotten....Takara will not associate the way you are treating her NOW with what happened in the park!

thandi
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Without being there and observing the two dogs it is not possible to say why this happened, and would be unwise to speculate.

In that situation I would probably have said something like "Aghh - what do you think you are doing" in a stern voice, but it would depend on the circumstances.

It is useful to bear in mind that you have a window of no more than 3 seconds in which to react to a dog's behaviour, good or not so good. After that the dog will have no idea of what it is being praised for or reprimanded for. If shutting her in the kitchen when you got home was to indicate your displeasure then it will have served no useful purpose as it was too far removed from the event. Takara would make no association between that and the incident with Taz. All she would know was that, for some reason, incomprehensible to her, that you were cross with her

Do you think that she may still be affected by seasonal hormones?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree to a certain extent. But the reason she's in there is a) to cool off and b) because since it happened. I told her no and haven't spoken to her since. It's not like I walked her back, talked to her and then put her in there.

I do agree though. I would never leave the situation and then come back to it to punish her but I have found in the past that if I deal with it there and then and then forget about it, she will do it again.
Whereas, if I prolong it she realises it's really no fun and the punishment seems to have more of an effect.

For a long time I would tell her no, remove her from a situation and then praise her as soon as she behaved how I wanted her to, but when I started ignoring her for a prolonged period (as a friend does with her beagle) things have had more of an effect.

Louise - Thanks, I'm going to check her over and if the behaviour continues I'll take her to a vet but I don't think she has got any sore patches to be honest. I think it was probably being possessive over the ball as she does get possessive but never like that!

We're going to go for a walk in an hour or two as she hasn't had her walk this morning and I'm sure things will be a lot better.

Thanks guys.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer View Post
Without being there and observing the two dogs it is not possible to say why this happened, and would be unwise to speculate.

In that situation I would probably have said something like "Aghh - what do you think you are doing" in a stern voice, but it would depend on the circumstances.

It is useful to bear in mind that you have a window of no more than 3 seconds in which to react to a dog's behaviour, good or not so good. After that the dog will have no idea of what it is being praised for or reprimanded for. If shutting her in the kitchen when you got home was to indicate your displeasure then it will have served no useful purpose as it was too far removed from the event. Takara would make no association between that and the incident with Taz. All she would know was that, for some reason, incomprehensible to her, that you were cross with her

Do you think that she may still be affected by seasonal hormones?
She seems to have lost all signs of the phantom etc. and her behaviour has returned to normal (I thought she'd calmed down a bit - but it was just her hormones!)

Thanks - I admit part of the reason she's in there is because I didn't want to talk to her but now I feel guilty lol. I'm going down anyway to let her out and like I said in an hour or so we're going back out to try again!

To be fair, her whole behaviour this morning has been pretty poor from pulling on the lead, recall to snapping at Taz so she probably knows she's in the kitchen because she's been a menace!

Thanks again, if it happens again which it shouldn't, I will just react on the moment and walk the other way perhaps (due to reaction from a 'friend' who walks with us), but not go so far with it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Thing is, I know that Taz would've been stood behind me waiting to see if he could get a treat. But as I couldn't see him I don't know what signs Takara might've picked up from him. He's a lovely dog though and has never shown any aggression so I'd be surprised if she felt threatened by him.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I agree it's unwise to speculate, however, from what you've said, she may well have been a bit possessive over her ball. It may never happen again or it may be the start of a habit.

Not sure how old she is, but as bitches grow they do tell off males sometimes

I'd not have in fact reacted quite as you did - maybe an "ahah" said sharply but it really does "depend". To an extent I allow my dog to be normal dog and sometimes that does mean telling other dogs off, however of course it's ajudgeent call as you don't want them to keep doing it.

If you wanted to take her home that's oK, a fair enough consequence, however, I'd not shut her away as by now (by the time you are home) she will have no idea why you are upset with her and be confused by you and see you ass omeone unpredictable.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >