View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 09:04 AM

latest on gnash,american bulldog (suspected epilepsy)

well as you know, gnash was on pb for suspected epilepsy and was doing pretty well, no more fits, appetite almost back to normal, but then last week, he seemed to go downhill again, not fitting but very lethargic and no energy along with the blocked nose, so i phoned the vet who said he thought that there could be an underlying infection, so he prescribed gnash a 10 day course of antibiotics to see how he got along, 4 days into them and the change is phenominal, he's back to his normal, very active self, its amazing, anyhow, the pb's ran out day before yesterday so OH took him back to the vets,where he saw a different vet, who gave him a good looking over, my oh explained about all his symptons and the fits and insisted on blood tests, saying he didnt want gnash on the pb forever without him being tested, the vet agreed, but as he's on antibiotics, he cant be tested yet, so at the moment, he's had no more fits, been off the pb for 2 days and looks good. the vet seems to think he could have a liver infection but we wont know for sure till tested, so fingers crossed again, i dont know if the drop in temperature has anything to do with it, there could be so many things, i will be glad when somebody comes up with some answers.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 09:16 AM
That is good news Very pleased that Gnash is better and I hope he continues to improve. You are very wise though to insist on tests.

I guess brachycephalic syndrome has been ruled out?

Do please keep us up to date on his progress
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Poor Gnash and poor you. Hope you get some answers and peace of mind soon
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
That is good news Very pleased that Gnash is better and I hope he continues to improve. You are very wise though to insist on tests.

I guess brachycephalic syndrome has been ruled out?

Do please keep us up to date on his progress
ive never heard of this syndrome, any info please? i dont think theyve ruled anything out yet
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 10:14 AM
The research is looking at the problem in French Bulldogs but all brachycephalic breeds can be affected. The study is in two parts:

http://www.bulldogfrances.com/brachy.html
http://www.bulldogfrances.com/brachy2.html
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 11:51 AM
thanks for that, he definitly showed some of the symptoms,
i will mention this to the vet when he goes for testing