View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2006, 09:08 PM

How should I check her leg? (puppy limping when walking)

Hi

I think my little mini schnauzer pup (missi) might have hurt one of her back legs while out for a walk today

She seems to have a bit of a hobble when walking, which I think is something to do with her left rear leg. She's NOT licking it or nursing it and she'll let me touch and move her leg without a whimper or trying to bite.

She has been running around this evening which looks OK, but walking still looks a little odd.

How can I check her leg a bit more thoroughly?

I don't think there is anything to be worried about, but I want to make sure she's OK.

If she appears to be feeling pain from it, i'll take her to the vet tomorrow......but i'd like to be a little reassured tonight.

She's going to the vet's on thursday night for her 2nd session of puppy club.

Thanks in advance
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't try moving it about yourself too much. She has probably just pulled a muscle or strained it slightly. Odd movement tends to show up more when walking rather than when running Any sign of tenderness along her back? Try not to let her run around too much tonight and if there is no improvement, or it seems worse, in the morning then get the vet to have a look.
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Her back seems fine, she's asleep at the moment and i've just had a good prod all along her back and she just rolled over onto her other side. So I guess thats a good sign

I've had another press and pull of her back legs and she's not giving any sign of discomfort, she sleeps right through the night ---as far as I know--- so i'll see what she's like on her morning walk.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Hi Snert did you also check Missie's pad/nails/in between the pads for any signs of thorns or injury? Hope it is better today ...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Hope little Missie is okay, I would rest her and ask the vet to give her a thorough checking over
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi
Yes Mini, i checked all her paws for stones/thornes etc and found nothing, she's been confined to the house and back garden today.

she seems to be walking better today, and she's been charging round the garden killing all the plants
She's also had a bath today and while her coat was wet I had a good look around on her skin.

All seems ok bar the hobble at walking pace.

I'm hoping it's just a tired/tweaked muscle, she's spending a lot of time sleeping today.

She'll be going to the Vet's tomorrow for her weekly puppy club session, so i'll get him to check her out just to be safe.