Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephi103
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2006, 06:25 PM

Should I get a harness/halti?

Dougal is now going out for walks!!! Which I love! BUT oviously he is pulling where he is not trained to walk by my side, he just wasnts to see everythingm which I don't blame him as it is all great fun to him! BUT I don't think my arms can take it!

I have just taken him out and he was pulling alot more and stronger than last time, arm is killing!

Now the question is should I buy one of these harneses/halti or should we just stick with the normal lead, Oviously we would still be training him to hell but would the harness help him learn?
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi!
I can personally recommend a Walkezee harness..........
The Walkezee Dog Harness is a kinder alternative to other restraints or collars on the market. The Walkezee Dog Harness does not put pressure on the sensitive structures of the neck or throat by employing a moving padded chest strap instead.

It is suitable for all dogs and is ideal to use as a humane training aid.

Danny used to pull like a steam train but now, thanks to this new harness, he's a joy to walk. A few others on here have a Walkezee too

I can PM you the website if you can't find it by Googling
Stephi103
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Can it be adjusted? As he is only a puppy now so will be growing VERY quickly and be a big dog and it would get expensive!!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Stephi103
Can it be adjusted? As he is only a puppy now so will be growing VERY quickly and be a big dog and it would get expensive!!
It is adjustable and comes in 4 sizes. The small is £14.95
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 07:28 PM
can only speak from our experience with the halti harness, halti headcollar and dogmatic headcollar. The halti harness was great but when they got a bit bigger it didn't seem to work as well. the halti head collar we didn't have any joy with. The dogmatic head collar, excellant, would recommend them to anybody, they do stop the pulling. We have two dogs one took to it straight away, the other has been a bit resistant but even then he is getting used to it and it has stopped the pulling Goodluck whatever method you choose
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I haven't found any head collar or stop pull harness that has helped with Bailey's training They just make him more excitable Different products work for different dogs, (no one on here seems to agree on one!) it can be expensive trying to find the right one, especially if your pup is going to grow a lot. So it could be a waste

But I do prefer using a harness to a collar. I just feel more in control and don't have to worry about him hurting his neck
Good luck whatever you choose
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Every dog is different ansd what suits every owner too. My crossbreed was the worst puller. A harness made her pull even more (prob the Husky half n her). I tried the Halti and ot did ride up her nose and as she wasnt enjoying her walk rubbing it off all the time neither was I.
I have The dogmatic Headcollar now. I thought number 2 dog didnt pull until I had the dogmatic on Shanook. Now I use them both on 2 dogs. They do fight them at first but no dogmatic no out ..well thats what I tell them.
These are the best I could find for me and the dogs .
I hope whatever you pick you will be happy with and your arms go back in their sockets as I thought mine were down to my ankles :smt026
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Train your dog. It takes only 5 minutes to teach a dog to stop pulling. A harnass will enhance pulling and halty type collars in my opinion are accidents waiting to happen. Imagin that your dog is walking 2 meters behind you and he sees a cat in front off you he plunges for the cat when he has covered 4 meters his head is halted to an abdrupt stop and pulled sideways. Can you imagin the strain on his neck.

Greetings

Johan
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2006, 10:57 AM
When Kali (Border Collie) was starting to grow up, he was a definite member of the steam-train fraternity. I tried just about everything, including half- and full-choke chains, but he was determined that he'd rather hang himself than stop pulling! The chokes (both varieties) went.

Later, he started to teach Snorri to pull, as well, and, one day in town, I ended up being dragged, doubled-up, across the street (this was before my legs started to fail on me). So I went to the petshop, where it was suggested that I might try Haltis. They didn't like them one little bit, but the pulling stopped!

Kali isn't a "big" dog - he's a big Orkney BC (Orkney ones are generally smaller) - but he has shoulders like an Aberdeen Angus bull. If he gets them behind his ordinary collar, holding him is well-nigh impossible. With his Halti on, he will trot gently by my side, pretending to be a nice, well-trained dog Snorri has picked up on this, and seems to realise that he will get to go more places if he agrees to go at my speed, rather than at his!

As a result of his experience with the Halti, Kali will now walk gently to heel, even when he's loose, something I thought I'd never see. Border Collies are, of course, "stock-dogs" and well-set for working out of sight (see the DVD "The Yeaqr of the Working Sheepdog"), and I have the idea that they really don't like being on leads (though, of course, I may be wrong) - they prefer to be able to "forage" ahead like skirmishing troops, checking out the terrain!

Anyway, the Haltis worked for my Boys. There may be the occasion when they try to make a break for something (cat?), but the Halti brings them up fairly quickly, and they have necks with muscles on their muscles - like hairy tree-trunks: obviously, they feel the check, but with no sign of discomfort - just frustration at not getting their way!

Haltis may not be ideal for every dog, but they did the trick for mine. It's largely academic nowadays, as I can't walk them much any more, anyway, but (e.g.) going to the vet is easier now.

One small caveat, though - the Halti collar does allow the dog to bite at the lead itself - not good when it's a steel chain type.

Snorri
("Live and Unleashed"!)